Kamasi Washington - The Epic
snarekickblues
You think it's too long? aahh, shaddup. Kamasi Washington just gave you 3 hours of pure magic. Be grateful, ya wieners
Music shouldn't be a chore. Listening to this album was a chore. I don't even remember any of it
EMR
Fantastic debut album from Kamasi Washington. If he hadn't already proved his capability and musical skills from his past collaborations with Flying Lotus and Kendrick Lamar, in The Epic, there is so much talent and relevancy that it is impossible to overlook. This record is massive in both lenght and content, and, despite its mammoth almost 3-hour duration, there is so much inside each one of the amazing 17 tracks that it's possible to get lost in every single one of these, with all the ... read more
Gupla
Kamasi Washington le hace honor al titulo de The Epic, con un material extenso de 3 horas, tres horas de intenso, glorioso e imponente jazz.

Obviamente al ser un material tan largo, no todo este material me quedó pegado en la cabeza, pero sin dudas hay momentos en estos tres álbumes que me cautivaron, al punto de querer entrar más en esto, como la manera en que Kamasi lleva su sonido, con grandes lineas de saxo, una muy acabada producción y un exclente mix entre ... read more
holsgr
☆☆☆½ ~ An inspiringly remarkable album. I feel intensely engaged with this consistent and deeply satisfying music in a wholly compelling unique way.
josecarloslopes
Favorite tracks : CHANGE OF GUARD,FINAL THOUGHT, MISS UNDERSTANDING, RE RUN, THE MAGNIFICIENT 7, RE RUN HOME, CHEROKEE, CLAIR DE LUNE and THE MESSAGE.
NewDawnFadez
Three hours of pure orgasmic power and emotional potency, The Epic is the best jazz album since Bitches Brew!
perlman
This is — ironically — epic.
One album, three discs, each one so well-composed and built, with songs that go from improvisation to the best-made composition of a jazz album in that decade.
ricardomcr
This album really is an Epic. For as long as it is, there's no other jazz album that can grab my attention and keep me engaged quite like this one. Really memorable motifs, great instrument playing, precise orchestration and variety in tempo.
Absolutely exhilarating live.

GO LISTEN TO: Re Run.
OpiesFuneral
I wish I had time to listen to this
This is a massive three-part album that I split up into three different listening sessions over two days. It was worth the ride and absolutely brought me back for more each time. Amazing jazz with a ton of influences worth digging into.

Favorite track: Cherokee
This is probably one of the greatest jazz records I've ever heard. It really lives up to its title in every way possible. Not everything's absolutely astounding considering how long this album runs, but there's not a track on here that doesn't hit me hard and blaring with beautiful jazzy instruments in some sort of way. Check this out, if you got the time for it.
avolok03
Kamasi Washington and his band have created the greatest jazz record I have ever heard.
91/100
ckassick
The title is self explanatory. Probably one of the best jazz albums of the decade. Kamasi's instrumentation fusing jazz with an uncanny understanding of chamber music and traditional soul is a three hour adventure of the 21st century Iliad.
holyfishpaste
It is EPIC, and uncanny in this day and age. Dazzling, hypnotic, and extremely exciting, when many jazz records can feel like a crawl. I mean, this is a crawl in other ways, but if you take it track by track, which I did, Kamasi's talents and distinctive features really shine, and each track is a rush of energy and color. Heaven & Earth would later expand on his individual character, but this stands as a great homage to the greats and black excellence in general.

fave tracks: Final ... read more
CheapandLethal
Worth a listen
76fex
Three years ago, my wife asked me if I was done with the bathroom
A magic 3 hour journey in the mind of a rising music star.
i go to this album whenever i need something in the background of whatever i am doing. but i cant listen as a whole, which i do for every album, because it's just so long. every piece of this album is put exactly where it needs to be, it's orchestration is almost flawless. i'm also not the biggest fan of jazz, so i'm not the most informed on the genre, but even i know that The Epic is just the biggest mainstream jazz record of this decade. there have been better put out that are just simply ... read more
AbsoluteElitist
One of the best jazz fusion album of the decade.

Best song : Re Run Home
tha138
Spiritual jazz that sounds, at the same time, so vintage and so modern and so assured to open the gate, widely, into an adventurous and exciting world.
And finally, you get three albums at once.
raymon
This is about as ambitious of a jazz album that I have heard in a long time. It brings jazz back into the forefront of music along with Kendrick's TPAB. It works as a triple album, being each part can be heard as if it was album itself. It is simply amazing.
nostar
I know I don't listen to a lot of jazz fusion or whatever you want to call this, but it's far from what I would call enjoyable. I listen to a lot of obscure stuff but this is not really that good. If Mr. Bungle attended Julliard and had Miles Davis' kid, they may have sounded close to this.
daFigz
Expansive and nicely toned jazz for the modern day. Accessible without being terribly annoying. Which is to say that this writer truly does not appreciate the skronky ramblings of atonal reed instrumentation backed by wailing percussion and throbbing bass lines. Noisy... Is not always a good sign of talent. However, Washington does keep it to a minimum and instead lays out a beautiful construct of smartly written and wonderfully played jazz. This writer will borrow from Pitchfork in calling ... read more
Speechless. Such a vast and densely beautiful journey. Truly lives up to its name: epic. It feels as big as infinity itself. I can always get lost in this record.
Kamasi Washington is a true musical genius. At first i was scared of the 3 hour run time but once i got into it that went away and all i wanted was more! I defiantly recommend this album to anyone. Its a masterpiece!
Lovdahl
The best jazz record of the millennium. Unbelievably diverse, captivating, and dynamic. Absolutely love this album.
SirBarxAL0T
Ambitious. There is not much that one can do with jazz to make it original or grandiose. Kamasi switches it up here and brings an awesome band, strings, and a choir to make it sound grand. There is some experimentation that goes on in this jazz record. The saxophone playing is great. I prefer the faster paced stuff. I hate it when jazz just starts playing around lazily with no direction. Though it does it to an extent, it does it to not be limited and boring, yet still follows a guideline to ... read more
An album whose length ensures that it will last the test of time, The Epic sees the defining saxophonist of this generation delivering an incredible jazz odyssey of truly epic proportions. It's just so sad that its 3-hour running will scare many people away from such an enjoyable listening experience.
Holy Saxophone Batman! This is quite the epic listen as it's title suggests. It's tough to pull off a 3 hour album and not bore the listener but Kamasi Washington does it!!!
PSHANDY
私のジャズ・ヴァージンはこのアルバムによって見事に奪われたのであった。
MEH. literally great album for people who hadn't listened to a lot of jazz before. Kenny G level.
zeldox
Probably already album of the year. Epic indeed. Coltrane, Ayler and Miles Davis's Kind of Blue coming to mind. Huge!
danpatt
Holy SHIT.

This is truly one of the most quintessential jazz albums I've ever heard of. I sincerely hope that this revitalizes the jazz scene and brings about a new golden age, because guys this is some Grade A good shit.
SeenYourVideo
Sax and fusion. Beauty and power. Rhythm and love.
dakotaconcrete