Ghetts - Conflict Of Interest
Conflict Of Interest
avernannes
★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
6.9/10

Very good hip-hop record, and it comes from the person who usually isn't convinced by the genre at all. I love that, apart from the thoughtful, precise lyrics, Ghetts took notice of the instrumental stuff, and it's something that really adds to the value of this album.
Igogreen8
AOTY!!!!!!! Probably not going to get beat, but you never know. So I'll add: ***so far***

My score may seem low but keep in mind I actually have standards. Most people on this site doll out 80s and 90s like they're fucking candy, so this not being the highest rated album of the year on here is blasphemous.

One thing that England will always be able to hold over America in hip-hop is being far funnier with their punchlines. The only Americans to make me laugh out loud, like Grime and UK drill ... read more
MusicGod
i’m a sucker for uk rap lol
their_nickname
NME is right. This album is a rare achievement. I've never seen a UK rap record with such a split personality. On the same album you can have a grimey, clever, absolute banger like Crud...when a few tracks before you have an absolutely garbage sadboy crooner with fucking Ed Sheeran of all people. Conflict of Interest, Ghetts? Is that why you named your album that? Because if so, this ain't it chief. Go back into the lab and bring more bars and less cringe on your next go.
Ymer
This album is far from bad, don't get me wrong. But there's just something with this album that fell flat with me.

For the most part, the production is very bland and uninteresting. There are of course a few exceptions such as Little Bo Peep - a beautiful song overall. But again, I just can't see myself listening to this again. The narrative is great and Ghetts poetry is great, but the pace of the album was a big downfall for me.
verniers
the duality of man etc etc how tf is this album containing insane bangers and laughably bad tracks all at the same time

fave tracks: mozambique; ic3; autobiography; skengman; crud; squeeze; little bo peep

least fave track: no mercy, with an honorable mention for 10,000 tears
Danko
A very powerful album and my introduction to Ghetts. It is heavy with wordplay and political statements but also tells the rise of Ghetts's career. When it does get sincere its a little odd but other than that I love his demeanor throughout the entire album. With the features it is a strong album to listen to all the way through.
ChiNaski
The level of banging on this record is extremely high. Great grimey beats, murky flows, and a good pen game. The features do their job, especially Moonchild Sanelly (who also surprised on the latest Gorillaz record) and Skepta, who hasn't laid a bad verse in a while now. Though I discovered Ghetts just recently (through the song Mozambique), he became one of my favourite British rappers.
KikePunkIlike
My level of hip hop is not very great, but I do not see so much innovation and we recover old sounds of this style. Typical bases and good rhymes ... nothing more
vitorbrenu
conflict of interest é um álbum mediano com alguns bons momentos
gdf
Ghetts demonstrates a great deal of versatility that veers into a lack of cohesion at times. Some great features and consistently good bars - the highlights are very high. Unfortunately, British rappers always feel the need to pad things out with weepy piano tracks about their childhood etc. and Ghetts is no exception. There's an amazing, ruthless 40 minute album in there somewhere, but the length isn't as much as an issue as I'd expected (compared to e.g. Edna by Headie) because even these ... read more
this album shows the versatility of ghetts and that it's not just very good rapping/MCing here u hear really good music, great intro for the album the second and third tracks wasn't that good as the rest and great closing to the album, this is the first album that i really really loved since 2021 begins. edit: actually these two songs grew on me
TheRestOfEden
Not a big fan of the first half, much better the second. Overall a good album with some standout tracks out of the infinitely prolific UK scene!
richibap
SKENG SKENGMAN SKENG SKENGMAN MODE.
lucacomi
Pretty nice album, that's it. A bit too long, with some good and solid points in the hooks and lyrics, but nothing extraordinary.

Oh, by the way, that Ed Sheeran track is pure shit c:
LucasLannister
Me da bronca empezar por acá pero con 5 o 6 temas menos hubiese sido un disco mucho más sólido. Se termina volviendo tedioso y repetitivo ya en el tramo final. Tal es así que ni siquiera la producción que venía siendo hermosa y precisa termina salvandose. Banco estos proyectos del UK Rap pero siento qoue todavía falta un poquito más de redondear la idea en la mayoría de los artistas.
TRaj
I'm always production first lyrics second type of a guy. For a singer-songwriter record, I understand the execution but this record is really conflicting(Pun intended) cause although the lyrics are witty and honest but the production is at its core is the same throughout the record which should not be excused on a 16 track album.
STW
The writing on this album at parts is incredible and really dark but there is a fair bit of filler and an hour and 10 minutes was not needed.
Mohamedmahmoud
Ghetts - Conflict Of Interest
Hip-Hop
February 19, 2021

From the artwork and the opening track, we can assume what's the album going to narrate, it's about ghetts throughout the years, telling his problems hoping that this would make him feel better.
"the mic is my therapist, I am just having a session"
Then he continued talking about his family and people judging him as he was a criminal, he's trying to justify his situation. How he was stuck with a hood of gangsters, feeling ... read more
noisefirst
FIRST LISTEN: Fair play to Ghetts for trying to sonically change grime, but all he's done for the most part is strip back his beats and slow down the tempo. There's some nice features on here from the likes of Jaykae and Pa Salieu and some really personal lyric writing from Ghetts himself that has to be applauded, but in general the album is pretty sleepy and drags.
EcEc
If only he would release an instrumental album
Really doesn't justify the 71 minute runtime. It opens and finishes well, but most of the songs in the middle are very generic and are made boring by the better tracks. Has the potential to be a decent album but fails to be consistent enough. Ghetts' pen game is strong but is sadly not enough to make the album good.

Song Recommendations: Fine Wine, Mozambique, IC3, Skengman, Little Bo Peep

PS: What is up with critics and British rappers? Seems like every British hip- hop record instantly ... read more
braztom
This is easily Ghetto's best music since Ghetto Gospel. A mature album from a true grime veteran. Would've scored higher if not for that Ed Sheeran track wtf

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories