Crumb - Ice Melt

Ice Melt

JacksonLerner
this project is gas. crumb are back and sounding better than ever. the band returns with a psychedelic sound which has a darker side to it.

‘ice melt’ means water, and that’s what crumb are on their second lp; their sound is smooth as a liquid. the band flows like water. ‘ice melt’ is tinged and trippy.

many people attest that crumb’s second album is “underwhelming” and “forgettable”. what i argue is that crumb’s music results ... read more
AngelHerntz
Tuve la fortuna de conocer a Crumb hace un par de años en el canal de YouTube llamado Nice Guys; allí bullen una cantidad exorbitante de artistas de una alta calidad, desgraciadamente no he encontrado ninguna de ellas aquí, o si las hallé no fueron valoradas como en realidad lo debía. Fue una sorpresa el volverme a topar con Crumb aquí, y si hasta aquí llegaron fue por mérito propio, en realidad es bien merecido. Los originarios de ... read more
freckledfreako
Although it is not too different from the sounds of Jinx, Ice Melt adds a little spice to the sound slightly dirtier and raw. I knew right after track one that this was going to be one of my favourites this year. The entire album is very consistent with trippy effects and smooth, gentle vocals that would keep you warm and fuzzy with some haze. Jonathan Rado did an excellent job producing this, as expected. Super awesome album that I can't wait to have on repeat this summer.
KTOM
This album was really frustrating, because the singles leading up to it, I thought were great. Started the album, starts off great and I thought this was going to be a reasonably great review, but about halfway through I realized all the songs started sounding exactly the same, thus realizing that the singles 'Balloon' and 'Trophy' both sounded almost identical too!

If I am to rate the first half of the album I would give it an 80 to maaaybe an 85, I loved it, the snare sounds of Crumb are ... read more
Orlkont
This was surprisingly groovy and there were times when my body just started involuntarily feeling the personality of the songs.
ConcreteCastles
This album is just like it's cover: hard to notice, empty, and much less definitive than its EP predecessor.
nanaonsen
*ice melt
"take your time 'cause it's all over" - 'trophy'

`
on their sophomore album crumb have thrown themselves deeper into their darker inclinations. the stories feel hopeless, the sound is more anxious and some songs need to be cut short to keep themselves from spiraling out of control. a few of the best points ('trophy,' 'tunnel (all that you had)') come closer than "jinx" at delivering on the psychedelic promises of "locket," but crumb remains harrowingly ... read more
TheCarioca
Balloon - 3/5
Tunnel (all that you had) - 4/5
Ice Melt - 3/5
sheldon_andre
There's so many moments on this project that I telepathically asked Crumb to really just... switch it up and they kinda do. I'll give them that. But man, they really fucked up on not going more experimental. Instead of wasting your time, I'll show you why this should've been an EP.

1. Up & Down
2. Retreat! (but longer)
3. Balloon
4. Tunnel (all that you had)

Oh yeah, their Spotify bio is PREMIUM Ghost M1 Pewdiepie levels of reach. I really don't get why you have to try THAT hard to ... read more
This album was my first experience of Crumb and they definitely didn't dissapoint me. The majority of the songs have some really pleasing melodies and the production is incredible throughout the album. The main flaw of Ice Melt is that most of these tracks dont' have that the musical climax that the best psychedelic pop songs do.

FAV: BNR, Seeds, Gone, Balloon, Ice Melt
LEAST FAV: Trophy
ShoegazeJake
The sorta crumbs you lick off the plate.
AltReview
The Boston-based band returns with their sophomore album. Fusing elements of dream pop, psychedelic rock and jazz, Crumb has gained the attention from indie heads. After two promising EP’s came their full-length debut. A spacey, mysterious and sometimes eerie record. On this new LP: ‘’Ice Melt’’, the group goes for a more straightforward and punchier approach. You could classify this as indie rock/pop with a psychedelic spin to it. The quirky guitar effects, hazy ... read more
FatalNoise
Been a big fan of crumb since locket (as well as every single other human) and have gone through phases of tiredness and adoration for the band.
This new record is the most consistent they’ve been on a project to date. Where jynx was hit or miss, ice melt is hit after hit, really impressive stuff

Only thing is, they do not know how to finish a song, the tracks just kinda disappear. However, still a huge love for this, always feels too short!
ArthurCampo
Meu problema com o novo álbum de Crumb permanece o mesmo que tive com seu antecessor: depois de um tempo, os vocais arrastados e sem energia simplesmente entediam. E se a instrumentalização não faz muito para dar um pouco mais de dinamismo, o resultado tende a ser bastante previsível.
NZT3
THEY ATE AND LEFT NO CRUMBS

Best tracks: Balloon, Seeds, Gone, Trophy, BNR, Tunnel (all you had), Up & Down, L.A.,
Weakest track: Retreat!
Crumb are a psychedelic pop band from Brooklyn. They caught my attention with their energetic early EPs that contained bubbly psychedelic bangers such as Locket, Bones, & Plants. However, I wasn’t very impressed by their debut LP Jinx, that just felt comparably too chilled out. I saw the live show of that tour, and was likewise a little bit disappointed.

On Ice Melt however, I think Crumb begin to realize some of that early potential. While not as exuberant as their EPs, it strikes a ... read more
pedro00valente
Groovy and psychedelic, that's what Crumb's music emanates. The second work of the promising indie band leaves us wanting a little more, some well executed ideas give way to tracks that, although fascinating, also seem incomplete as if there was no climax or purpose.

Ice Melt is not as attractive as Jinx (there is no longer the novelty factor) and the new elements and explorations are not strong enough to explain the lack of nexus in some tracks, even so, it is a work that feels quite ... read more
Quilaiba
Boring, vacant and apathetic. Nicely mellow, but boring, vacant and apathetic.
treblafreeman
It kinda sounds the same to Jinx. And it literally lasts the same.
It gives you really basic enjoyment, the songs are still very basic compared to the EP era stuff.
It feels its more focused on aesthetics rather than musicianship, too focused on the singing and the music it's just on the background side, to the point its almost ambient pop.
I mean it's a good listen, but there is nothing that stands out, a bit disappointing having in mind they took of from those amazing EPs where every song ... read more
Memar
Hazy and atmospheric psych pop. This albums main attraction is its unique slightly muffled production. I also really enjoyed its slightly sad melodies and the enjoyable reveal of the tracks progressions. This is a very tight project with some serious highlights. There’s a lot to like here, although it does suffer from being a bit samey and underwhelming (especially in the middle third).
I really enjoy Crumb’s music, but this album seems to lean on presenting more of a general vibe rather than showcasing the stellar songwriting that I’m used to from this band. I think the songwriting is what falls off for this album, specifically with the vocal melodies, but with that said I’m still enjoying it quite a bit and recommend for any fans of the psych pop genre.

Also, as per usual, Jonathan Gilad is fucking killing it on the drums.

Edit: forgot to mention this ... read more
Aydn
while wasn't pay as much attention as i could've it never really made me want to, there were a few cool parts but right after it instantly lost me again. i'll listen again later and try to pay more attention
aCurlyBoi18
Most of the songs are great but I wish they were longer and more developed.
andyintoronto
Not as good as Jinx but still plenty to like here. Best tracks; Seeds, Gone, Ice Melt
ChrispyChickn13