John Mayer - Sob Rock

Sob Rock

R1v3r__
i hate you so much goddamn it
prets
Mayer’s willingness to poke fun at himself lends itself perfectly to the satirical foundation of ‘Sob Rock’ <3
opinionofnobody
He literally called this album a shitpost and it is pretty evident when listening to Sob Rock that it's not to be taken very seriously even if there are some nice melodies and guitars here.

I mean, just look at the cover and album name...
CameronFriezer

8. Til the Right One Comes - 7
9. Carry Me Away - 6.5
10. All I Want Is to Be With You - 7

Average: 7.35
Quick Comment: I quite like this listen it puts me in a good mood although it can be repetitive at times, it feels so peaceful and chill and just ... read more
eastbaldboy
Couldn’t decide between two jokes so I’ll share both. Warning, they’re pretty lame jokes.
1) I’m pretty sure John is fluent in English, yet he still wrote the song Why You No Love Me, wherein he says “why you no love me, why you no even care?”

2) Fun Fact: Why You No Love Me was actually written about my opinion of this record.

EDIT: Oh wait I have one more kinda joke. This album did not make me sob. Okay but seriously, these tracks are too upbeat for ... read more
SonicDiscovery
If you’ve been a fan of John Mayer throughout any point in his career, listening through his 80’s soft-rock inspired eight album Sob Rock shouldn’t stand out too much from his other material up to this point. We still get the confessional lyrics of his dealing with relationships, clean pop-rock sound and intricate guitar work that has been there all alone, only now the production choices (courtesy of Don Was) does have that clean sheen found on other album of that time and ... read more
AffanAhmad
Honestly, the second half is really good. There were moments in this album where I wasnt feeling it, but it really picked up with the last 5 or so songs and i found myself enjoying the songs a lot more. There are some highs in thisalbum such as the closing track “All I want is to be with you”, “Shouldnt matter but it does”, “shot in the dark” and “I guess I just feel like”, but “Why you no love me” left me a bit cringed and I didnt ... read more
gopxity
I've always found it weird how John Mayer has so much talent but chooses to be THIS boring. This man is in his 40s saying "Why You No Love Me 😞" RED FLAGGGGGG 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩
EdFruscley
The pitchfork review is one of the most accurate reviews I've ever read. In certain way, Sob Rock is a good summary of the last couple of years. A joke not too obvious, almost not a joke. The feeling of not losing, the feeling of not winning too
Paty08
I get why people don't like this because it does come across as pretty one-note and inoffensive, but I think that every song here is well-produced and that his vocal performances and hook still slap.
mediocre_feet
Sob Rock is lighthearted 80s inspired pop rock. There are a lot of tasteful blues guitar solos but the songs overall feel average. Sob Rock is just cliché and fun.
FritoRio
This sounds like John Mayer imitating John Mayer
Tielur
Man took me back to Miami 1983 with an album cover like that...

Giving me some John Mellencamp vibes mixed with Toto...both of which I can't tolerate at all.

This is gross!
fideofideo
Twelfth review. From now on I'm going to work harder, I became more sleepy nowadays.

Each flows stand as very repetitive. Come up with a pop jumpy-rock nostalgia that is refreshing but this project case is too gauche and it missed relevance, turns off the amazing updated class of it, gives you the impression of being a blank answer when we decided to question freshness and authenticity in modern music. Has a long lame, way more average production.

Followed by basic structure of the ... read more
iansocks
this album doesn't feel like it has a will. like it doesn't need to exist, but it's still forcing itself to say something anyway. if that makes any sense? even the highlights are pretty boring and unimaginative. Why You No Love Me is funny though.

FAV TRACKS: Why You No Love Me, Wild Blue, I Guess I Just Feel Like
LEAST FAV TRACKS: Last Train Home, Til the Right One Comes, All I Want Is to Be With You
Schmedess
I like the era of boomer music he decided to compose this album with but aside from a couple dope tracks this album mostly ranges from very questionable to just kinda ok
ArthurCampo
It might hold some nice highlights (even if some of them are like 3 years old now), but at the end of the day is just a John Mayer album doing what you expect from a John Mayer album.
DCWSimon
The best work John Mayer has released in over 10 years. Though the choruses can become a bit repetitive overtime, the entire piece is very pleasant to listen to, and not in a ‘background music’ type of way. Every releases single sounds way better in the context of this album. As with most of his work, the production is as smooth as can be, the songwriting is decent and the tunes are extremely catchy. Definitely recommend!

FAVOURITES: Last Train Home, New Light, Wild Blue, Carry Me ... read more
pedrosabe16
This album makes for a nice and relaxing listen, but it doesn’t have any substance. Sonically, it just feels too cliché, settled and charmless. Lyrically, it has the John Mayer humor of making fun of himself which matches the topics he touches on — if that’s a quality or not, it’s up to you.
KingIsCole10
I'm not sure if this opinion will age well but I found this album to be quite refreshing. The weakest thing about the album is some of the songwriting, it can be pretty corny at points. On the other hand, John gives really good vocal performances and his guitar playing and guitar playing is pretty great. So many of the tracks are really catchy and fun with the exception of Why You No Love Me and I Guess I Just Feel Like which are the weakest tracks. The melodies and production is soft and the ... read more
CiaranHelmink
With his guitar-playing being as well-rounded and complex as ever, it just baffles me how John Mayer manages to remain such a garbage singer-songwriter. That's really all I have to say about this thing. In one ear, out the other.

Fave Tracks: Wild Blue, Last Train Home
Least Fave Track: Why You No Love Me
Ruimtewezel
I secretly hope this is his last album, and that he moves on to other music projects after this, partly because this album has moments where it really sounds like he is just riding into the sunset, away from the past. Even the pop tracks, clearly meant for the radio, give that car ride feeling.

It's not super boring, it's just really mediocre for Mayer's standards, which have really dropped with these last two albums.
The best part about this is that it makes we want to revisit old John ... read more
SidewaysSky
This is one of those albums where you go back and think, "there's no way the last album sounded like this, right?". Sob Rock is about as accurate of a description as you can get for this depressingly poor record. I don't know if John Mayer's running out of ideas or if he simply rushed this album out to bore all of his listeners to tears. This easily has some of his most lazily written songs, too. I got my hopes up too much, didn't I?
extasia
this feels like his label wanted him to make an album while he was preoccupied fucking every person in LA and this is the product. (just my opinion)

anyways. there is little to no subject matter in this record. i don’t know what john mayer is talking about, seriously. these songs are SUPER long just for the same 3 lines in every song.

question: has john mayer ever made a good album?
answer: no.