White Ward - False Light
TheCarioca

Leviathan - 5/5 ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ (Que porrada!)
Salt Paradise - 3/5
False Light - 5/5 ❤
Downfall - 4/5

MaceBlade42

June 2022 Reviews:

White Ward continue to push musical boundaries, exceed expectations, and provide powerful music for the 21st century. This will unequivocally go down as one of the best albums of the decade.

For the uninitiated, White Ward combine extreme black metal and noir jazz (i.e. sax and piano) to create an extremely bleak but refreshing sound. Now, I am not a BM fan at all and have criticized many albums from the genre for sounding like they were made in a toaster oven. However, ... read more

Bludfhart

White Ward just continue to impress. With a very unique style of black metal that borders on blackgaze while incorporating synthwave and jazz, this band is on track to become one of the heavy hitters in the genre. Everything is well put together and works on every level. Some parts of songs are more restrained with saxophone passages, while others feel closer to a modern darkwave electronic act. The black metal moments kick in and are extreme and moving, even including some great guitar ... read more

shgzwnlnd

Classic good blackgaze - great composing, performances and atmosphere; White Ward are doing the right job at delivering the music that is needed in some way; I think I, personally, need something emotionally heavy and blasting, even screaming, hence White Ward's new record is perfect for this. The sound production is really nice, the mixing is pretty, the instrument choice and the new structure movements are also great on here. This is just a great record.

NTTR

White Ward - False Light

Genre: Blackgaze
Country: Ukraine

Final Verdict: 72% (Very Good Album)
Yearly Ranking: 57th / 521

Highlight: Phoenix

Made me think of:
Alcest
Deafheaven
Imperial Triumphant

ScenesFromIllma

White Ward delivers again!
I was able to catch the live stream premiere. False Light is another well paced album. Their heavy blackened instrumentals and aggressive vocals sound more intentional and focused. The jazz elements are there again. I really enjoyed the saxophone pieces.

All around, the production is crisp as ever. Salt Paradise felt a bit out of place. I think it would have fit better in the middle of the record or towards the end, but who am I too judge?

White Ward has ... read more

Flannel_

Black Metal, New Road.

Amazing "blackgaze" type DSBM, with a noir downtempo jazz twist that harkens back to acts like Bohren and Der Club of Gore. Really good.

Mvrderface

what a surprise.

tatakae712

No esperaba nada de ustedes, y aún así logran sorprenderme. Que gran álbum, no solo por la calidad de los intérpretes sino también por lo bien que saben manejar el Dark Jazz con el Post Metal y el Blackgaze para traer este trabajo.

AOTY June Playlist