Mitski - Puberty 2
Puberty 2
lerkenfeldt
On ‘Puberty 2’ Mitski emerges as one of the strongest female voices out there. The album is an emotional “tour de force” exploring all sorts of themes, but always with Mitski herself at the centre. It’s crushingly honest, sometimes too the point where you, as the listener feel uncomfortable. But for some reason, it just works.

And it not just the lyrics on ‘Puberty 2’ that works. The instrumentation is nearly as perfect and hard hitting, distorted ... read more
Space Vacation
I really loved and needed this.
Warmed my heart and soothed my brain.
BonoLightier
Este álbum é tão bom que nem consegui escrever uma crítica em inglês. Fiquei verbalmente bloqueado. As letras são tão cruas e honestas e o trabalho vocal de Mitski é emocionalmente surpreendente.Grande candidato a Álbum do Ano
pstaggs
The acoustic bass hasn’t been used to as ominous an effect as that found on the first half of this album since Violent Femmes’ self-titled first LP. Like Violent Femmes, Puberty 2 uses a combination of simple instrumentation and unassuming, yet, somehow, unsettling vocals to create a cathartic feeling like no other. Unlike Violent Femmes, which was essentially an album length ode to blue balls, Puberty 2 is a very liberating and VERY feminine project.

In fact, this album is so ... read more
winitheju
Mitski offers one of the most honest, introspective albums of the decade so far. Musically the twists and turns of this album are exciting: the percussion and horns on "Happy", the electric guitars on "Your Best American Girl." Reminiscent of some of the best artists of previous years, namely St. Vincent and Angel Olsen. Although the ending may be a little subdued, this album is nearly perfect. Best record for 20-somethings since Modern Vampires of the City. Can't wait to go ... read more
YOUUUU'REANALL-AMERICAAAAN BOYYY
Seriously? There are so many albums that deserve more hype than this generic snoozefest.
amygoodall
good
itsyahboinoah
just your standard indie-rock record that at times shows glimpses of great song/writing but far too many dull and un-inspiring moments for me to come back and re-listen to album again.
Following up 2014's breakthrough Bury Me at Makeout Creek, Mitski Miyawaki's fourth full-length record, Puberty 2, finds the 25-year-old singer-songwriter taking what I imagine major critics would refer to as "the next step" in her musical evolution. In any case, Mitski has distinguished herself from the general rabble of similar artists by expanding upon the "prototypical" indie rock framework which marked her last effort. Let's start out with the not-so-good: I'm not ... read more
Fallendomino
For the large part, Mitski does a lot with a little on "Puberty 2". Song structures and lyrics are kept simple, but still convey a certain gravitas many artists struggle to display. Occasionally, however, there is a deluge of instrumentals that creep in on top of the simple formula. Needless to say, it all works beautifully together. Indie rock is at its peak, and Mitski is doing her part.

Notable Songs: "Happy"; "Dan the Dancer"; "Fireworks"; ... read more
AlienTing
Her best album yet.
corvolyce
Crushed Little Stars is one of the best songs from her I've heard, so far. Overall, however, it just doesn't reach Makeout Creek's heights.

Edit... ok. I still think this is a disappointment , but not as big of one as I initially believed. Everything is so quiet and mellow, it really threw me off. I just wish I got a little more bite to the songs than what's on offer here. The two that come the closest are Best American Girl and Crushed Little Stars (which are my favorites).

Raising this to ... read more
ZoilPlaylist
Queen of our sadness
hellodecatur
More like Bury Me at Makeout Creek 2 ayyyyyyyyyy z

Favorite Tracks: Your Best American Girl, I Bet On Losing Dogs, A Loving Feeling
squeejie
if puberty is so great, then why isn’t there a ...
bitterblossom12
High bar for lyrical rock music. Production isn't too complex but works very well, the strings and guitars in particular are very well done, as are the big thumping basslines. Crushed Little Stars, and A Burning Hill in particular feature some of the best lyrics of the decade imho. Crack Baby is comically substandard on an album this good, but aside from that hiccup she goes 10 for 10.
JohnLouisHoward
great record. I actually liked the boldness of Bury Me at Makeout Creek a little more, but that in no way detracts from this fantastic work of art. Mitski can't make a bad record.
DiegoPaim01
Tem algo neste disco que me faz continuar ouvindo ele incessantemente, como se essas canções sempre deixassem ao ouvinte um gosto de "quero-mais", ou como se transmitisse a sensação de que há algo aqui muito forte e não percebível numa escutada superficial. Bom, de fato, há muita individualidade e sentimento nessas canções. Muito do pós-punk, rock alternativo, shoegaze e até do folk, essas ... read more
lemuriams
St. Vincent 2.0?
EntryIncomplete
The rough rock intrumentation creates a beautiful juxtaposition when layered with Mitskis soaring, but awfully close and tender voice. Sure, she explored this territory on her previous lp, a record I quite liked. But on Puberty 2 everything comes together for real. Her whole carrer has been building up to this magnificent album.
I definetly think you should check out the rest of her discography, but Puberty 2 is really just the crème de la crème of her talents as a songwriter and ... read more
ryanreviews
One of the best new Indie Rock albums out there. Mitski is such a great vocal presence and her songwriting greatly improves on this album.
Happyface143
This album is like a frozen hand trying to rip out my heart,calm and chill(for the most part), but still hurts. Love it.
mviecurt
First listen on headphones on a loud bus: yeah this is good

Second listen on speakers at home: one of her best albums???

Favorite tracks: Dan the Dancer, Once More to See You, Fireworks, Your Best American Girl, I Bet on Losing Dogs, My Body's Made of Crushed Little Stars, Thursday Girl
I love Mitski. The sounds on this project will slap the skin off your cheeks. Good shit, garunteed. I only wish the tracks on this project felt like they belonged on the same project.
Best Tracks: Thursday Girl, Crack Baby

dope
CheapandLethal
Uninspiring
thethirdverse
there are glimmers of greatness in this album, but so many songs don't reach their potential. it's the kind of album you want to love, but the album doesn't give you the time to. also, a lot of the lyrics are... not the best.

best: your best american girl
One of the better singer songwriter albums of 2016. Honest, sad, diverse.
ErdreAudio
My favorite album of 2016. "I bet on losing dogs" has been looping on my player for months.
FearFlour
Great and interesting indie project.

Favorites: I Bet On Losing Dogs, A Loving Feeling, Happy
Least fav: Idk
Glad I decided to give this one a listen. While this album isn't always outwardly dramatic and emotional, Mitski taps into a set of universal human emotions through a staggeringly personal yet refreshing and brief collection of tunes. The songs are individually powerful but sometimes quite fun, and while they can sometimes sound a bit similar, there isn't a weak song in the bunch.
dyelir
This half-Japanese indie rocker taking Weezer-like guitars under her wing, spinning the Pinkerton narrative on its head might be the best use of irony in 2016. To be fair, though, this album is far more relatable than Pinkerton. The odd experimentations that translate as frustration usually pay off, like the saxophone add-in for the opener "Happy". Mitski struggles to find a place of zen throughout the album, but she leaves us with 11 songs to be thankful for.
tha138
When the days continue to be black and the nights are still white, the girl, better than ever, takes her indie-pop around the urban scenery and joins the transparent dots of an anguished introspection.
It's pretty meh, to be honest. My Body is Made of Crushed Little Stars and Once More to See You were the best of it all imo and that. was. all.
bucetwigs
Melhores: Your Best American Girl, Fireworks, A Burning Hill, Happy
Piores: Thursday Girl
Bang
Great fourth studio album from Mitski. A very satisfying and fun record that sometimes borders on genre fusion. The fuzzy rock aesthetic and short songs makes it a sure treat for any fan of indie (or anyone really), and shrouded behind the seemingly simple sound are some truly beautiful compositions.

I Bet On Losing Dogs is my favorite.
guileffb
I don't know why did I ignore this album. It's great! The songs may take a while for you to digest and understand, but once you do, they're lovely.
Melodies are beautiful, guitars are good, the lyrics are the big highlights and even the music videos are amazing. It took me a while to get into it, but I eventually did and I don't regret it.
FearFlower
Great indie rock album go listen to it.
Felindie
Fav Tracks: Happy, Your Best American Girl
I Bet on Losing Dogs, A Loving Feeling
KTOM
Solid album. Nothing new and shocking but just all round solid listen.
JulianGomez974
Puberty 2 is full of angst and coming-of-age references that match with Mitski’s rock and honest lyrics. Even if the length of the tracks is really short, it never feels unfinished, actually, I think these songs are better like this, otherwise they would come as pretentious. This is an artist still trying to find herself in her artistry but she doesn’t hide in this, it’s the other way around, she invites listeners to discover themselves through her own search. There’s ... read more
chessmess
Amazing album with an incredibly personal theme supported by Mitski's strong and raw voice. I cannot help but see the resemblemce between Mitski and Sharon Van Etten (Are We There). Mitski asserts herself as one of the strongest voices of 2016.

Favorite song: 'Your Best American Girl'
If St Vincent did an Angel Olsen impression and made shallow observations about millennials
raymon
Mitski's album got better with each listen. It is a wonderful indie record with bursts of emotion that hit you unexpectedly. I found myself loving her voice and the melodies throughout this album.
sebascors
Honesto, directo, sin rodeos y con suficientes variaciones para mantenerlo interesante de principio a fin. De primera escuchada sin duda de los mejores álbumes del año, y tal vez con más escuchadas, puede que sea el mejor.
AkArE1989
Japanese Indie Rock by 1997 + St. Vincent + Asobi Seksu
HighClouds
Mitski doesn’t need over-produced subterfuge. On “Puberty 2”, she succeeds in provoking major effects with a modest lo-fi production. She tried badly to fit in this world, but ultimately, it is because she gave up on that which makes her music so special and beautiful. Full review: http://highclouds.org/mitski-puberty-2-dead-oceans/

American Football - American Football