SwedishLotus

Ethel and Starks will leave their stage is my favourites, rest is aight i guess.

mateoskrrt

it's good. i think a bit overhyped which seems ironic given that my score is higher than the user score average. idk, with how much more i liked the second half than the first half, the project seems conflicting.

i just don't see a strong enough coherency to the tracklist to justify putting the record in the 80s. i like every song individually, but something about it just doesn't come altogether for me.

'a thousand lives' is damn near a masterpiece, and a score of 79 warranting as negative a ... read more

Not my genre. Another angsty angry album. Hard to enjoy it as it drags on with spiritless music and dull vocals. Surely sounds like some effort was put into the lyrics but feels wasted. Not for me

lucmadeit

A powerful album that really brings back punk aesthetics in a modern way.
(75)

Schmedess

Really unique approach to the modern post-punk genre! Instrumentals are super dynamic and the variety of instrumentation is excellent too. Also shoutout to John Congleton!

The vocals are still derivatively "post-punking" like the other bands today, which makes me roll my eyes a little bit, but I have to give it to them for the quality writing on all fronts.

CYM

Banda del nuevo estilo post-punk como otros grupos irlandeses y británicos. La voz de James McGovern recuerda a de Grian Chatten de The Fontaines D.C. No obstante, la música queda un poco más lejana, menos garra aunque los sonidos son interesantes. La crítica es excelente, bajo mi punto de vista, no es para tanto.
Mejores temas: Ethel, We Had To Disappear y Only Good Things.

TrueTheurgist

An extraordinary project full of emotion and creativity, a very powerful listen that doesn’t wear off from track to track compelling. Really really enjoyed this album in love with the soundscape.

joslen23

Gigi's Recovery is a very patience testing album. It is filled with sparkling details that glimmer in the distance of the fairly minimalistic mix, and I'm sure to those who are able to invest themselves completely this album, that's very rewarding. Unfortunately my attention span is far too lacking for that. What I'm instead confronted with is a mix that for the most part places the vocals far in the front of the sound of this album. The singer absolutely dominates most of the duration of these ... read more

blackandwhite

Good

it’s very powerful I definitely recommend it

nickrampe

Wasn't familiar with them until this. I'm glad I am now.

Felix_96

6/10

solid

Fav tracks: Ethel, The Stars Will Leave Their Stage, A Thousand Lives

pedrosabe16

Great post-punk revival album in 2023? The Murder Capital's sophomore is a consistent listen that showcases strong musicianship.

070Sway

▲ = Crying, Return My Head, Ethel, The Stars Will Leave Their Stage, The Lie Becomes The Self, A Thousand Lives, We Had To Disappear, Only Good Things, Gigi’s Recovery,
▬ = Existence, Belonging, Exist
▼ =

Ederbugs

Despite not liking the beginning and ending tracks, I still think this is a very solid art rock/punk album with some favorite likes A thousand Lives and Only Good Things. Very reminiscent of bands like The Strokes.

x1m03

The vibe from these guys kicked in for me at the latter half of this LP, and I say this is not a bad piece of work. Took me a while to get used to the singer, and some tracks just feel droning at times.

Favorite Tracks: Return My Head, The Lie Becomes The Self, A Thousand Lives, We Had To Disappear
Least Favorite Track: Ethel

Low 7/10

(First Listen) - 82

I really enjoyed this. It reminded me a lot of Fontaines D.C and in many ways an in between of their recent record, with their previous albums. Gigi's Recovery has some pretty heavy moments, but is overall a gray-toned album that's writing beautifully relays a sense of isolation and loss. Calling an album gray-toned may not sound like the best compliment, but I mean it as a pure positive here. In the more intense moments, the songs are heavy, dense and full of life. In the ... read more

jovannikolic99

A great modern post-punk album from The Murder Capital. What makes it great for me is the variety in the sound and in the songwriting, the songs really evolve beautifully. The first half of the album is much stronger, in my opinion. The second half doesn't have that many memorable moments.

PASS_THE_AUX

1. Existence
This is a very effectively dark way to start off the record. It does a lot to slowly pull me into the experience through the subtle instrumental and softly spoken lyrics. The lyrics, while very short and simple, do a lot to introduce the themes as well. The line and idea of “existence fading” really strikes me personally. Kind of an “if you know, you know” moment, I think. The outro of this track leading into the next song is also a nice touch.
8/10

2. ... read more

xSJC27

Solid project with some good ideas. This does the genre justice and is an impressive record with a great sound.

ZachTheOddBall

Very consistent album. Besides the intro, middle song, and outro, there's a lot of great goodies in this. Introspective songwriting, developed production, great structure; just great music all around.

MrComit

another mid post punk album to add to my collection

Kam

I thought that we wouldn't get any actually awesome albums for the first month of 2023 but The Murder Capital managed to pull it through with my favourite inide-rock record since Los Campesinos' 'Sick Scenes'. The storytelling and genuinely great ability to songwrite is evident from the very first transition of 'Existence' to 'Crying' (both being my least favourite track and most favourite tracks on the LP) and continues spectacularly to the very end. I genuinely don't see myself listening to ... read more

_MarkM_

I've held off rating this for a week post release as I thought it would be a 'grower' after the first few listens ... I was right!

Not going to add all 80's alternative and New York 2000's references as they have all been said & written ... Mostly fairly and accurately!

This is though, utterly brilliant and it keeps growing even after (what last.fm tells me is) 20+ full listens (all non-stop).

My score may go up and this may be my earliest shout for album of the year ever!

Check out my ... read more

NikoMandalas

Gigi's Recovery is a powerful and punk fueled rock album that grows HEAVILY with each returning listen.

First off: WOW! I have never heard of this band before. I gave this album a listen because for a while it was #1 on this website for user scores in 2023. That, and I have this new fascination with rock music. I just can't get enough of it!! So you'll understand my excitement when I realized this is one of the best albums I have ever heard. Each new listen was rejuvenating.

Let's address the ... read more