Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
A Moon Shaped Pool
Radiohead is an interesting band. Every album feels like a reinvention of the Radiohead sound, with them jumping between electronic music, folk, and straightforward rock every few years. If you asked me to pin down what Radiohead sounded like, I would be hard-pressed to describe them. I can describe what their albums sound like, but can not apply a consistent label to the band as whole.

But with A Moon Shaped Pool I think I can finally do it. This is what Radiohead sounds like. Decades of ... read more
EDIT: I have yet to go back through AMSP in its entirety since my first couple listens after it dropped. Still very good, but hasn't stuck with me like a few other releases of this year have.

the continuously innovative, and arguably one of the best bands of all time, Radiohead releases a new record that comes almost out of nowhere, although they announced a tour and mysteriously deleted their internet presence. and what came from this commotion is one of the greatest albums of the ... read more
veronica
I really considered giving it less than a perfect score because it's probably too soon for a proper evaluation (although I've been listening to it nonstop since it came out), but I just couldn't. There's not a single moment on here that doesn't feel perfect to me. Thank you Radiohead for this heartbreakingly beautiful piece of music.

Update: For the sake of objectivity I lowered the score a bit, but I still love this album as much as I did the first time I heard it and possibly even more.
Im

Freaking

Crying

In Class
EMR
Five years after the release of their most controversial and robotic album, Radiohead are back with their most introspective and downright melancholic work to date. A Moon Shaped Pool sees the band depicting their sound from the countless technologic endeavours they have taken in their long career, focusing on organic structures and pure sadness. It is most certainly not an immediate album that draws direct influences from rock or pop or anything like that, and even though it does bring out ... read more
DEEPSLEEP
When I wasn't listening to this album I felt it stalking me
MiaWatterson
A Moon Shaped Pool is Radiohead's most recent album. It reflects well all of the band's evolution and work. It's strong and well done. I've been reading some opinions about this and a lot of people say that this is almost like a fusion between Amnesiac, The King Of Limbs and In Rainbows. I guess I can agree with that.
Radiohead knew what they were doing but it doesn't mean that this isn't experimental. It mixes some electronic, pop, rock and folk influences. As I said before, there are some ... read more
"In my line of work, there is no room for error."
-Thom Yorke 2018

The most realistic and personal Radiohead record I've ever had the joy of listening to. Its brutally honest and any political view on this thing is more out of "this personally impacts me" and not "her der Hitler hair". I love this more with each listen and I hope Thom is okay, seeing how he's been troubled and cryptic on his twitter as of recent.
MarkCooper
In Rainbows if it were made in a desert in the Middle East with clear open night skies. Wide soundscapes with a lot of room to breathe.

Keeping Thom's separation with Sophie in mind really let the lyrics shine.

Favorite Tracks: Daydreaming, Desert Island Disk, Identikit, Glass Eyes, True Love Waits
This sounds so definitively Radiohead to me. With a lot of the tracks here having been made at several different points in time throughout Radiohead's career, this album feels like an amalgamation of nearly all of the different styles Radiohead have toyed with in the past but with a beautiful acoustic minimalism to it. The subtle details laced throughout these songs are slowly being revealed to me more and more with every consecutive listen, and whilst sometimes this album can feel relatively ... read more
Wolf
AMSP >
Beautiful, haunting, and downright depressing. A Moon Shaped Pool is yet another landmark in Radiohead’s discography.

Fav Tracks: Ful Stop, Burn The Witch, Daydreaming, True Love Waits, Identikit, Present Tense, Glass Eyes, Decks Dark

Least Fav Track: Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailer Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief

Score:
9.7
Amazing
playlistwizard
10/10 strings this whole album was beautiful
In what has completely blown me away, Radiohead have an album that I enjoyed even more than Kid A. Although I had listened to this album upon release, I hadn't really fully taken in the project at the time. Now three years removed, I sat down and listened to this album twice through and absolutely cannot get enough.

The elegance and splendor across this is palpable, with the group once again going in a completely different direction than any of their previous work. Rather than Kid A which went ... read more
Tacorillaz
A Moon Shaped Pool feels like waking up in a plain white hotel room in England, on a cold day in early spring time. That's probably the best description I could give it. I love how it puts me into this sleepy trance too, it's like when you can't get out of bed in the morning, because you're too comfortable.

It might look like I'm describing this album like it's a boring snoozefest, but that's not the case at all. The endless amount of details and beautiful soundscapes keep you interested ... read more
Beeyyaahh
Each time I'm met with this album, you almost have to prepare for the wave of whatever it is that surrounds this album to hit you. AMSP is always impressive to me, just something to behold.

Edit: Well, it finally happened. I have no reason to understand why I kept it from this for a long time, but here we are. This album is genuinely impressive and each year that cycles by since it’s release just amplifies how much I love this thing.
I'm sad
ricardomcr
For such a delicate album this is incredibly busy and layered, still. Usually it's one or the other, but not with Radiohead.
It sounds like a band that has it all figured out, artistically speaking - over 2 decades - and also, given the current landscape and influences in music, is very able to keep their sound updated and relevant.
Intimate and private in some of the themes it touches upon. Memorable moments and lyrics give it enough quick familiarity for repeated listenings right of the bat. ... read more
Cosmilk
The culmination of all of their previous work. It's delicate, contemplative, and powerful. I would be sad as hell if this was their last album, but it would only make sense. Perfect in every way.
Atrocityblubber
My favorite radiohead album...

Sorry em

This is just gorgeous from beginning to end with radiohead's most saddest material to this data. And the highlights on here are just pleasure like daydreaming with this somber piano and thoms hurt vocals.And espically present tense which is one of the more catchier songs on this album. And i can't forget true love waits Radiohead's best closer imo. And i just feel sad after this album lmao but still a orgasmic album.

Favorite track: Present tense
It's probably the saddest, most depressing, and most emotional Radiohead album ever made, but somehow one of the more distant, reserved and personal albums in the bands discography, which makes for a somber yet highly interesting album to say the very lest.

Favorite Jams: Burn The Witch, Ful Stop, True Love Waits

Lest Favorite: Glass Eyes
amw100
A great album that can feel sympathy with you, yet make you a bit more depressed. Radiohead reach a new sad level on this one
madeeineem
Not giving it a perfect score because I can't keep giving Radiohead albums perfect scores
aronmace
In a 2017 interview between Thom Yorke and Benedict Cumberbatch, Cumberbatch mentioned that he listened to AMSP first while driving. To Thom's excitement, he exclaimed that this album was written for cars.

This album came out during my last term of college in 2016, but I became immersed by these album while I was wandering around western Europe nearly 6 months later. This album is vast and isolating- a separation from the things swiftly moving around you.

I was enlightened to the beauty of ... read more
Best Radiohead album since OK Computer. If OK Computer is a solid 10 for me, then this one is 9,5. Best album of 2016, and it will remain like that. Lyrically perfect, weird in a good way, the first time I listened to it, I was like "WTF", these guys have this ability to make "weird" things sound superb.
ChukPizel
This is so beautiful man
tylersreviews
FAV TRACKS: Burn The Witch, Daydreaming, Decks Dark, Desert Island Disk, Ful Stop, Identikit, Present Tense, True Love Waits

LEAST FAV TRACK: Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief

9/10

Such a gorgeous album layered with tons of sadness on top. This thing is so satisfying to listen to and how easy on the ears it is. Definitely Radiohead's saddest release ever, making it a bittersweet, but great listen.
Great

I'm in love with the aesthetic of this record. It's such a sad and depressing album, as reflected in Thom Yorke's vocals throughout the record. His lyrics are the highlight, and he yearns for love on True Love Waits, and talks about isolation from society on Daydreaming and Glass Eyes. It just goes to show you that every Radiohead album is different and amazing in their own ways, I guess some more than others.

Color: White
FAV TRACKS: Glass Eyes, Decks Dark, Daydreaming, True Love ... read more
Rafael
Holy fuck this album is a roller coaster of emotions, well at least for me. Since recently AMSP has been more affecting to me than any Radiohead record. I used to think of it as third best now it is the best record they have in my opinion. Somber and depressing af
CuckBoi5000
Radiohead's most underrated album. It's dreary, depressing, quiet, minimalistic and all the better for it. One of their strongest for sure, across all boards. I didn't like it on first listen, and it's perhaps too sad and preserved for some, but I eventually grew to love the shit out of it
Cyan
Why do they still sound young after all these years?
lucental
Depressing, bleak, desolate, empty - there are so many words to describe this goliath of an album, but nothing that can serve as a replacement for actually listening to it. A Moon Shaped Pool is an incredible experience front-to-back, and has grown on me since its release like no other Radiohead album.
AmericaanSpirit
A well matured and slower record for the band. The days of Bodysnatchers and National Anthems are gone, and perhaps this has to do with age. On first listen, it seemed slowing down was a natural progression for this group, after being all over the art rock map a few times over. The duller moments on this record stick out a bit more than usual, converting ambiance for chamber pop, which in turn creates music that slides under my radar a bit. But only a handful of tracks have that problem for me; ... read more
amygoodall
good
liammenzies
Beautiful, gentle, depressing and utterly mesmerising: this may be "dull" to some but once this album clicks with you, it's impossible for its grip on you to loosen.
Mr_Smiles
RADIOHEAD IS BACK BITCHES

Well atleast they have been back for 2 years at the time of this review
MySoftBulletin
Radiohead: Worst to Best
#6 - A Moon Shaped Pool

The latest release from Radiohead acted as a return to form, their most sonically pleasing and emotionally diverse record in a decade. Inspired by the personal struggles of Yorke, A Moon Shaped Pool acted as a testament to the human condition, a way to reflect upon ourselves and confront our grief. A remarkably beautiful album in both composition and substance.
zaxapitsa
Mature, relaxed, at ease with themselves and more unassuming than ever. A pleasant ride with a band that has nothing left to prove.
mz
As well as it can be...
wolfgangAMADEUS
PERFECT COMPOSITION
PERFECT PRODUCTION
GOOD INNOVATION
GREA IDEAS
POPDESIGN
Best Fan Service of YEAR!!
All Songs Are Remarkable & Unique
AMSP Is an another Masterpiece of 2016 definitely.

FAV TRACKS : Burn The Witch, Daydreaming, Ful Stop, Glass Eyes. Identikit, Present Tense, Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief, True Love Waits
ryansliao
After a decades plus material of extravagant production and experimentation, Radiohead have finally decided to strip everything back down to its core with this record. The result is without a doubt one of the most beautiful and emotionally potent albums in their discography.

Best Tracks: Burn the Witch, Daydreaming, Ful Stop, The Numbers, True Love Waits
Worst Track: N/A
noonoo97
Fuck my old review after so many listens come to the conclusion this album is an absolute beauty.
plowo
Trippy and calm atmosphere.
Favorites:Burn The Witch, Decks Dark, Ful Stop and Present Tense.
Kokolores
Was it in the 90ies when the stereogram came up? People who could see the picture within the picture went like: wooahhh, wow, miau! Standing next to someone who was able to relax his eyes in the right way was like: damn it, what is ist all about - it's just noise?! Listening to Radiohead is quite similar. Once you are able to relax your mind and hear the music in the music, you go like: Woowi, miaui! And it works for nearly each of their album.
Luroshard
more like a snooze shaped pool
raymon
Radiohead are definitely back with this album. It is an incredibly crafted and rewarding album both emotionally and musically. Thom Yorke sounds more refreshed than ever. It is painful album that is easy on the ears. New sounds and new feelings emerge from this record. It's just a superb album, and I'm excited that this happened.
lemuriams
Daydreaming
imimesis
Radiohead's most well-conceived album-as-artistic-statement since Kid A. They have synthesized the best elements from their three previous albums (King of Limbs, In Rainbows, and Hail to the Thief) into something at once completely familiar and unique -- as only Radiohead knows how to do. It would be hard to top Kid A in my book, or OK Computer for that matter, this is about as close as they can come. Not only that, they manage to tastefully evoke the best albums of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and ... read more
Caffro
This album is aching with beauty. Thom Yorke's vocals soar over beautifully arranged strings and I'm loving the subtle electronic instrumentation. You can hear the sheer labour and attention to detail that went into these 11 tracks, every moment feels essential. This thing is growing on me more and more every time I listen to it.

It amazes me how this band are 9 albums in and they're still knocking out some of their best material. Radiohead, take a bow!

Favourite tracks: Decks Dark, ... read more