LonelyHipHopFan

This is album is a confusing one. I like it, even though it's one-note as hell, which is mostly because of the production that can get repetitive by the end. The project is literally carried by the vocals that are just phenomenal. The songwriting is alright, there are some nice hooks here and there, but without the vocals, this would be pretty average.

Overnight Trains 6/10
Don’t Say It’s Over 8/10
Feel Loop (Lizard Dream) 7/10
Long Live The Strange 8/10
Not The Only Things ... read more

SnowyFighter

Hey I’m bopping

Okay so yeah this definitely isn’t the most insane HOLY FUCK MY MIND IS BLOWN album on the face of the planet but honestly I can appreciate it for writing some good hooks and having some solid material. I love the dudes voice a ton. I also love the production which is pretty playful at times. Overnight Trains is my favorite song on here and I think it has a beautiful piano part that ends in a really satisfying way. Don’t Say It’s Over, Feel Loop and ... read more

cfnugent

EDIT (86 -> 84)
Still loving this album. Seeing the user score that low has caused me to second guess that, but after multiple relistens, I just love this sound.
-----------------------------------
I certainly wasn't expecting another amazing album this early in the year, but I'm really blown away with Gaz Coombes here on Turn The Car Around.

This seems like it may be another guilty pleasure album for me. The chorus' are catchy and the vocals are great. There's just something so endearing ... read more

NO NUANCE REVIEW

Like the opened bag of Tostitos that’s been sitting in the corner of my pantry for over two years, god damn this is stale.

mikehermida

Gaz Coombes is for me, fast becoming an emerging elder statesman of the British music scene, respected and appreciated by those in the know, much in the same way that Damon Albarn has/is. A lot of his solo work has a much lighter touch that his time with Supergrass and his vocal delivery is also much better these days.

This is another excellent record and long may this continue.

Essential Track - Long Live The Strange

artyomin

Turn The Car Around is just a very nice collection of pop rock songs, both acoustic and electric. When the synths join in, I'm very happy, but for the most part, it's just pretty basic and I enjoy it as such.

Best Tracks: Don't Say It's Over, Turn The Car Around
Worst Tracks: Overnight Trains, Sonny The Strong

nervousestate

I always hold Gaz Coombes to a high standard since hearing his song Detroit for the first time, which blew me away. On Turn The Car Around, it's a different-sounding, slower-paced, and more relaxed Gaz, but the same great songwriting talent is still there.

What I did find strange, however, was that I really enjoyed Turn The Car Around without any song being particularly memorable or mindblowing. Instead, Gaz Coombes goes for consistently good songs that are enjoyable even if they might not be ... read more

humm1ng_b1rd

Confesso que gostei mais do que eu imaginei que gostaria. Surpreendentemente "Turn The Car Around" te diverte com seus refrões poderosos e os vocais impressionantes de seu vocalista — Gaz Coombes.
Apenas tiraria a primeira "Overnight Trains" e deixaria o álbum começa logo com um dos seus maiores destaques: "Don't Say It's Over".

TheCarioca

Sonny The Strong - 5/5 ❤
Dance On - 4/5

Pagerleto

Decent 5

I may be being a little harsh on this record, but it's coming from someone who loves Supergrass and for the most part Gaz Coombes' projects too. But, this one fell flat for me. It felt kind of bland. Yes, it explored interesting ideas, but it Coombes didn't execute them as well as he could have done.

There is absolutely nothing outrageously bad on this LP; it's consistent, yet underwhelming. Some of the riffs are great and the piano is good too, but I didn't find anything else to ... read more

jossilovesmusic

i was vibing so hard to some of these tracks that if my family saw me they prolly wouldve thought i was having a seizure

pedrosabe16

I will agree with y'all, the production gets repetitive but I love its style. Gaz Coombes matches it with a heartfelt vocal performance. Solid and detailed project with carefully arranged instruments.

SonicDiscovery

When people talk about the britpop era, everyone always talks about Oasis, Bur and sometimes Pulp, but it’s a bit surprising that a band like Supergrass is never involved in the conversation. I realize their music is can fall outside that simple ‘britpop’ label, but the same can be said for the other bands involved. Regardless of that, Gaz Coombes has always proven to be a great songwriter and that is very evident on his latest solo effort Turn The Car Around. The songs found ... read more

KusoTheFox

Not exactly setting the world on fire, but still a pretty enjoyable listen overall in my opinion

Felix_96

7/10

good

Fav tracks: Don't Say It's Over, Feel Loop, Turn The Car Around

todgod

The songs are all distinct enough to be their own pieces but make up a really cool, psychedelic work that flows well and brings unique sonic elements to the forefront.

traumaqueen4eva

Um álbum de indie rock decente. Não tem muito o que mostrar, mas também não se ausenta. Curto, porém tem quantidade de faixas suficiente para proporcionar uma escuta agradável e que não fique repetitiva com seu som não muito aberto a experimentações; parece não encontrar necessidade para se aventurar em outros espaços e camadas, pelo menos é bem feito dentro de seus limites.

Destaques: Feel Loop (Lizard ... read more

EmiMoment

This Thom Yorke x Gorillaz album is crazy. Yeah this is just some indie type brit-pop we've all heard before from our Arctic Monkey type artists. If you're into that you might love this album but ehh its just whatever. Track 5 is amazing though that's easily the best song.

Best songs: Don't Say It's Over, Feel Loop (Lizard Dream), Long Live The Strange, Not The Only Things, Turn This Car Around

Meh songs: Overnight Trains, This Love, Sonny The Strong, Dance On

decent 5/10

JaeTrim

Great little indie rock record

Atro

Gaz cooms lol

(I have not listened to the album)

SemT

I finally found an album worth listening to in 2023. While the peak and consistency were much better in the first half, it progressed without much deterioration in the second half.
"Overnight Train" was actually a pretty good song.

andyintoronto

So who doesn’t love 90s Supergrass?! (especially their first three albums!). But since then I haven’t paid too much attention. A solo album by their lead singer would have not been on my radar, but it’s actually a really solid record. Dad-rock for sure but it’s Spoon-ish vibes work really well and I’m pleasantly surprised. Solid mid section, Best tracks; long life the strange, turn the car around.

PowderedGround

Clocking in at 9 songs over 38 minutes, Gaz Coombes 4th solo album has some strong moments. The man can write a tune and his structure is always interesting. However, I've been left wanting more.

The vinyl is en route, nonetheless. I suspect it'll grow on me, rather like previous effort 'World's Strongest Man'.

beatrizwho

A voz dele é completamente a favor do ritmo indie rock do seu álbum daquelas que dá vontade de imaginar como seria um show.
#1 Long Live The Strange
#2 Turn The Car Around
#3 Don’t Say It’s Over
#4 Not The Only Things
#5 This Love
#6 Sonny The Strong

Urbanov

On his fourth solo studio album, Gaz Coombes swapped experimenting with his sound for an established indie rock crooning and it doesn't really pay off.