AOTY 2019
James Blake - Overgrown
Overgrown
I understand my reasons for a perfect score are my own personal reasons....but my god...sometimes music says what you're feeling more than you can.
Great

While not as abstract as his eponymous debut, ‘Overgrown’ is still as adventurous and relaxing, but fails to be made up of an unforgettable group of tracks. Nonetheless, when you are listening to each track, they hit hard.

Color: Blue
FAV TRACKS: Life Round Here, Retrograde, Digital Lion, Overgrown, I Am Sold
LEAST FAV: Our Love Comes Back
masterofkarate
Tepid vocals, fairly non-descript instrumentals and then out of place “future garage” elements which feel really weak versions of what the best of the genre has to offer.

I’ll take Retrograde though.
aaron
This is my favourite version of Blake, far better than his debut and what came after (lemme explain) there's a balance of honesty and fragmented thoughts, crafting a masterpiece of emotion. With that out of the way, "Overgrown" was the great opener, I'd dreamed, Blakes voice slowly falls apart in this gorgeous tone alone but still electronic overtones leading but also hiding behind the power of his words, the instrumentation overgrown, along the borders of his voice. " What she ... read more
MinatoArisato
A solid follow up which adds a lot of interesting production choices and consistency which the self-titled album lacked

Best Track: Voyeur
Worst Track: Digital Lion
Twelvanoff
Flawless. James Blake explores soulful melodies with his voice and piano helped by efficient and hauting drum patterns.
Tielur
Blakes second record is a revalation
rosevean
#2 I Am Sold
#4 Take a Fall for Me (Feat. RZA)
#5 Retrograde
#7 Digital Lion (Feat. Brian Eno)
#8 Voyeur
Whilst a lot of people don't like the fact that it wasn't as experimental as his debut, some of the experimentation on that album didn't work for me that much, like the acapella vocal effect on Lindesfarne 1 or the ear-piercing drums on To Care (Like You), they took a bit of getting used to. Overgrown is a more refined body of work, even if it is a bit safer, it is a little short of breath, his first was aswell but I don't think it should have been any longer, Overgrown however I think could ... read more
Ennety
A very good album, but it doesn't have the same effect on me as his debut which was way more effective at delivering emotions. It is definitely more polished, but I prefer the songs on 'James Blake'
EntryIncomplete
Overgrown seems like the album where everything just comes together for Blake. Fusing the intimacy and sharp songwriting of his debut with his more club friendly production shown on early EPs, this album becomes yet another glorious reinvention of his sound. It's no less expressive and personal than his self titled, but the vocals are now carried by addictive yet restrained percussion and warm, fuzzy synths. James really just hits all the spots here, showing off both his versatility and ... read more
PatrickL0419
Despite its more mainstream leanings, I enjoy Overgrown quite a bit more than James Blake's debut. The project sounds more refined and less scatter-brained than his debut, but still preserves the more experimental leanings that have come to be a trademark of Blake's electronic, alternative rnb fusion.
goncalocouto
"Overgrown" is about growing up and embracing love. It's fucking genius.

✅ Overgrown | I Am Sold | Life Around Here | Retrograde | DLM
Claytastic
A lot of what I felt was missing on James Blake’s S/T record can be found on Overgrown. An even tighter set of tracks than the first to properly flesh out all of it’s ideas, spacier production to give it more of a drone electronic feel, more piano incorporation, better vocals without the weird distortion he tried on some S/T cuts, and a couple of great features (Brian Eno and James Blake is a match made in heaven).

That said, Overgrown has its own stumbles. Some tracks felt like ... read more
AmericaanSpirit
While his musicianship has grown in leaps, he plays too heavily into the pop tropes he teetered on in his previous work. Which while gave him a broader audience, didn't do much for his path as an artist.

BEST TRACKS: Life Around Here, Retrograde, Digital Lion
It may not be as experimental as his debut, but it's not very hard to overlook that little flaw with beautiful, minimalist production, James Blake's great vocals and improved songwriting. Plus, RZA makes a great feature!

Fav Tracks: I Am Sold, Retrograde, Life Round Here, Take A Fall For Me, Digital Lion, Overgrown

Least Fav Track: Voyeur

Score:
8.8
Awesome
CheapandLethal
Pretty poor
soflogemstone
Everything Bon Iver strived to be on "22, A Million". Raw heartbreaking emotion over instrumentation that takes you into a realm perfectly crafted to fit the hums of the artist. Words aren't always needed, and they sometimes can clutter the true feeling of a record. James does a perfect job in displaying this on wax.
SeenYourVideo
Heated with the best of that electronica and experimental drone sound James Blake offers, Overgrown is highly magnificent and beautiful.
FinalLifeline
With much more of the smooth R&B that had only just sprouted on his last LP, Overgrown is a deeply sad record that manages to stir something up in listeners that few records ever manage. The sounds are exquisite, and the vocals are painfully bare. "Retrograde" is a classic. The title track is heartbreaking. "Digital Lion" and "Voyeur" are two of the most blood-pumping pieces JB has released. All in all, it may not be front-to-back perfect, but it certainly has ... read more
gas_souza
To the last - 70
Our Love Comes Back - 75

Destaque: Overgrown
Gaspurga87
Lo positivo: tiene un estilo bastante original e interesante de hacer musica.
Lo negativo: la mayoria de sus canciones son aburridas
MagnetoJenkins
This is one of those "2013" albums.
catarinalobob
I love some music therapy
FreddyBernard
this album does play to blakes' strength much better and preferable to this other releases, but it seriously lacks any replay value for me, sorry to say..
holsgr
( ☆☆☆ ) good/average work
ChukPizel
A more human version of the Self Title project
kappachino
Jeans are too small for my overgrown scrotum tumor. Great album, though
Jebus
Overgrown isn't as experimental as the self titled but it still manages to come out amazingly.
TheBravesDH
Yeah this is the one I wanted from him. Everything I loved about the debut minus the things I didn't love. Moody as hell. The climax of Retrograde is about as good a minute of music as I heard all year.
DalekTurret32
Our Love Comes Back [102]
Maximiliano
Peak James Blake
amygoodall
good
noonoo97
Personally think James Blake is very overrated even some of his early experimental R&S stuff is not as good as the hype. This album though is very accessible with solid lyrics and focus. Overall though this direction is boring and every song seems to linger on and wander about.
theRoids
My favorite project Blake has released. It's not as experimental as his debut, but that's not a bad thing, on this record he really refined his sound and made it reach the potential shown on his debut.

Best Songs: I Am Sold, Take A Fall For Me, Retrograde, Digital Lion

Worst Songs: Voyeur
Excellent = N/A
Great = 2-3, 5
Average = 1, 4, 7-8, 11
Bad = 6, 9
Trash = 10

Very strong start, then it just fails in the second half of the album.
DaniMadar
James blake is a genius
EMR
Although not as adventurous and dazzling as his debut album, Overgrown shows a mature and focused artist, starving to make his art stand out. This time around, the compositions sound very cohesive and attached to one another, bringing Blake's vocals in a more clean and close way, with lots of new influences, like RnB and hip-hop (even a great RZA feature). Needed to say that this album doesn't bring the same abstract value to the compositions as his previous, showccasing something more ... read more
Fvck_mo
James blake has grown to be one of my favourite artists, this album is the perfect example of why he is so good at his genre
joewindlebrox
Soulful ambient bliss.
Zackauz
Best Tracks: I Am Sold,Take A Fall For Me, Retrograde, To The Last
Worst Track: Voyeur
Overrated: Life Round Here
Underrated: Take A Fall For Me
tha138
A promissing artist makes a step forward and mixes his emotions with notes in a really spectacular way.
I believe that Antony is so jealous...
Much more mature, crafted sound compared to his self-entitled debut. A nice feature by the RZA & a surplus of dark, resounding production that fits his eery, ghost-like voice
Creator R-Zita
HIs music has an evolution from his previous album. Overgrown is more adventurous and James can be a really good songwriter except making E.T. music!
jayman
So far, rotating in my top 3 of 2013. Love the overall flow from song to songand title track one of my favs of the year
cwmDJ
experimental album, some tracks are very good but most are just good, melodies are fairly weak, nothing to get your teeth into but better than average
Masterfully crafted, wickedly original, and a great Sophomore LP release. James Blake keeps his unique flavors from his self titled debut and jazzes it up again with "Overgrown". I enjoyed the album from beginning to end. You can tell that James Blake really spends the extra hours to get his productions perfected in every way.
arsen b
My God this sound is between Massive Attack and Vangelis. Such an impressive work. Much stronger than the debut in my opinion.
mikeisnowonfire
This is how you do a followup to such a unique debut album. You progress a little with a wink and nod to new concepts all while showing why your first album was so acclaimed.
James Blake shows growth and subtle experimentation in his signature sound. A definite improvement in all areas.

Harry Styles - Fine Line
Heavy Is The Head
FKA twigs - MAGDALENE
FKA twigs
MAGDALENE
Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Lana Del Rey