Frank Ocean - Blonde
Cambridge
"Blond Is"

Poetic to exhaustion.
Rebelliously virtuous.
Progressive but not obnoxiously ambitious.
Naked with a warm tone of soulfulness.
Euphorically sinister of nostalgia.
Tastefully sour like an onion.
The Sistine Chapel of R&B.
matteo
Frank Ocean has returned to us after four years that felt like a lifetime. Some will surely find Blonde a disappointing follow-up to ChannelORANGE, which up until this weekend was still easily my favorite album of the decade. I will not say that Frank has topped ChannelORANGE, but he has given us another master-class in modern songwriting, a true heart-breaker that stands shoulder-to-shoulder with his classic debut LP.

The thing to keep in mind is that Frank has gotten older, as we all have. ... read more
'Blonde' is an incredibly mature, intimate, personal, complex and ultimately riveting piece of work imo. It's very stripped back and relaxing, even though the production here is really gorgeous, a lot of the songs here don't even have beats, just piano, synths, backing vocals etc. Frank's voice and lyrics are the main focus which I think massively benefits this album, it makes it feel a lot more personal, which when compared to Channel Orange, it is.

'Blonde' to me reads as an hour long ... read more
demojack
Blonde – The growth of an artist is something that I love. I love an artist who is not afraid to explore with new sounds, lyrics and production.

Now that I think about it, since I’ve been a child I’ve always loved innovative artist/groups; The Beatles, Outkast, Prince and Kanye West are 4 of my favorite artist who come to mind. I love them and their body of work because they reinvented themselves with most of their albums and they weren't afraid to push the envelope and ... read more
SHUGGIE_KUZKUZ
Recommended by a friend. Sorry bro this is just bad! Just Pop music no more interesting than Tyler Swift or whatever.I view the people going all over the top crazy bout this shit with the same sort of patronizing sympathy I give the bieberfever teeny-boppers. A lot of you guys need to get togeter wi critics and find something real, for real yeh!
noonoo97
Nothing new here a pretty boring album nothing new from frank extremely safe some ok songs a decent voice and ok lryics but overall its just a charty pop album that looks good compared to other r&b and pop albums because its slightly more intellectual.
dyelir
I compare this album to The Life of Pablo with it's long-awaited rollout from a very culturally important artist. Like Pablo, this album doesn't muff the kick. Instead of the soft, barely-there pianos and raw vocals of Channel Orange, Frank distorts his voice and the sounds that back it OFTEN. One miraculous motif is the lack of rhythm/drums for over half of the songs on the album. It's too busy and left-winged to be a conventional pop record but never is Blonde too hard to swallow.
BruhMan
Only one word to describe this album: Magical.

FAV: Ivy, Pink + White, Solo, Skyline To, Self Control, Night.s, Solo (Reprise), Pretty Sweet, Facebook Story, Close tou You, White Ferrari, Seigfried, Godspeed & Futura Free

LEAST FAVORITE: Be Yourself
DiegoPaim01
Eu sempre tive uma relação ambigua com o R&B Alternativo. Ao mesmo tempo que acho bem interessante como o R&b conseguiu se adaptar aos novos tempos e incrementar na sua sonoridade elementos mais eletrônicos, visuais e distintos, são estes mesmos elementos tão contemporâneos e em sintonia com as gerações atuais que me afasta um pouco. E isso se dá pela excentricidade forçada, a estetização expansiva que ... read more
EDIT: After a few more listens, I cannot agree with my previous opinion of Blonde being as good as Channel Orange. There are some terrific tunes that expand the horizon which was set by Orange, but nothing is improved upon too much. I still love this project, it definitely is a situational album (great for driving, chill nightime music, making out, whatever).

This is going to take some time for me to process... but for now, I think that Blond is just about as good as Channel Orange. The ... read more
isab3lla
Definitely the most boring album of the year. So soporific.

3 beautiful tracks though :
#2 Ivy
#3 Pink + White
#9 Nights

& 2 averages tracks : the intro & the outro.

I miss the wonderful "Nostalgia Ultra" !
siberianbreaks
With Blonde, the billionth comeback record this year to bring in overwhelming amounts of hype, Frank Ocean performs a bold deconstruction of his usual, grandiose style in favour of something more bare, emotion-heavy and left-field à la Kanye's 808s & Heartbreak. And considering just how that side of Kanye does very little for me, this side of Frank does just about the same unfortunately. To put it bluntly, Blonde is the type of project I can only see myself admiring rather than ... read more
Leozao
Edit: as a review to the actual music, you can say it is catchy, because it desperately aims to be, its EMPTY lyric wise (in opposition to every major hip hop album of the past decade), and it finds a super rich "pretend to be" kid with nothing but loose ends. I get it, youre cool, artistic and do drugs.

This poor soul comes out as gay only to follow up singing about 'them bitches' and 'pussy'.

Can't be bothered by stupidity. Disservice.
chessmess
After dragging his fans into what seemed like perpetual anticipation, Frank Ocean releases a new fully packed 17-track record, that stand as one of the most interesting records of 2016.

The Frank Ocean from Channel Orange has changed this time around. Ocean's vocals are rougher around the edges and the production has become less intricate, but it seems that what is left of the production is significantly more refined. This is especially true for tracks such as Pink + White and Pretty Sweet. ... read more
I'm really digging this very soulful aesthetic Frank Ocean has
oh and he is an incredible vocalist, let me just mention

I'm probably gonna need to return to this a few more times before I can truly devise a full opinion, but I'm digging most of the stuff on this album so far
This is some sad shit, man

Frank comes through with a genuine vulnerability that's seldom seen in such a high profile artist, but in art, vulnerability becomes strength. Everything about this album is meant to drive home said vulnerability, with the stripped-back instrumentation and spacey production allowing each note to ring out, making the music feel as naked as the man on the cover. Blond(e) is defined by that sense of raw honesty, stripping away any shred of bravado or celebrity ... read more
itsyahboinoah
This is perhaps best rnb record i heard this decade only. Frank ocean 2016 "Blonde" bears all and takes a more minimalism approach to rnb music, Frank ocean voice is able to breathe and show off his vocal chops. What is more interesting about this record is the numerous outside artist credits of it such as Elliot smith, David bowie, the beatles and many more. My cons with this record and why it isn't high enough is that the single and first track of the album "Nikes" is ... read more
FearFlour
This is the shit. This is just the shit. There's nothing that I don't love about this album. Every track is its own masterpiece.

Favs: ALL OF THEM
Least fav: NO
TheVinylGuy
Themes of sexuality and identity become the most relevant statements in Frank Ocean's latest album 'Blond'. The album is sonically challenging, yet, also rewarding over time. Respect must be made towards Frank for challenging his audience, as well as creating his most personal work to date.

BEST TRACKS: Pink + White, Solo, Skyline To, Self-Control, Nights, Solo (Reprise), White Ferrari, Seigfried, Godspeed

WORST TRACKS: Good Guy
lerkenfeldt
I am one of the few people that never really got into 'Channel Orange' I liked 'Nostalgia, Ultra' but for some reason the hype surrounding 'Channel Orange' at the time, made me more or less skip it. I have since had time to revisit it and have come to appreciate some of the songs on it, but it's still far from a favorite of mine.

But perhaps the fact that Channel did not mean that much to me, made it easier for me to listen to and appreciate 'Blonde'. I wasn't losing much sleep wondering ... read more
raymon
Blonde is just the signal that proves Ocean is one of the most talented and unique songwriters of our time. Blonde is a master work of R&B aesthetics. It doesn't have the grandiosity of ChannelOrange, and it doesn't need to because it is a different project. Profound lyrics and emotion throughout the album. The production is enigmatic and gorgeous.
goncalocouto
Afirmo veemente que "Blonde" é o melhor álbum de 2016. Consegue superar o "Channel Orange", o que me pareceu quase impossível antes de ouvir esta obra de arte. Felizmente, este projeto não se tornou num álbum pop. Estou muito satisfeito por poder viver numa era onde existem artistas como Frank Ocean.
I understand why some people hate this. I understand why some people love this. This is a vrey chilled back album. There's nothing that's really outstanding abkut this album. Nothing new, it's just an aesthetic sophomoric R&B album. But it has a certain touch to it. A certain magic, I'd say. This is my guilty pleasure. I have no idea why this captivates me so much. This whole calm aesthetic, Frank Ocean's voice, everything seems so aesthetic. Sometimes you just lay down and listen to some ... read more
YehiaSeyam
17 Perfect tracks from ocean that can't be described into words
aoty of 2016
this man can never make bad music
wolfgangAMADEUS
PERFECT PRODUCTION
PERFECT COMPOSITION
GREAT INNOVATION
GOOD IDEAS
ryansliao
Frank Ocean does a wonderful job of blending minimalism and tremendous vocals while maintaining a great songwriting core. This album is miles above Channel Orange in emotional impact and production. Overall, this is a much more complete and impressive effort from Frank.

Best Tracks: Ivy, Pink + White, Self Control, Nights, Pretty Sweet, Seigfried
Worst Tracks: N/A
frienderman
Quite honestly the most visceral and heartbreaking album that Frank Ocean has ever released; four years of hiatus have really been paid off with this devastating masterpiece.
MarkCooper
Objectively, this is probably a better-made album than channel Orange.
Franky boy's vocal style varies on almost every song, and he completely rocks each approach.

As for the lyrics, they're still what you expect from Frank, but feel more apart of a conversation than Frank documenting abstract metaphors like on channel Orange.

And the instrumentals HOOOO BOY Awesome

way better and more colorful than channel Orange, yet still really skeletal and breathable in that trademark Frank ... read more
MusicSucks
Might change my mind but this feels rather bland and safe. Otherwise, alright.
liammenzies
It was strenuous, the agony felt like it was a lifetime in the making and it felt like all that effort could have been for nothing: what I'm describing is the hectic, never-ending history behind Frank Ocean's sophomore record though what I listed could so easily be used to describe the motions this young R&B staple went through during the making of Blonde.

Blonde, to me anyway, really does feel like a once in a lifetime kind of album - though I could easily pinpoint other ... read more
Hughie
This album holds a lot of personal value for me. I 100% understand if you think this album is only like an 80, but it means so much to me on a personal level. It's my go-to album when I'm sad, when I'm happy, or when I just want to chill on a summer night. Incredible.
Midline
if you took your hand off your face you'd realize your hair is green not blond frank

big if true
What a mess. It goes to show that extreme talent and artistic vision just doesn't always make sense.
donutzfly
Ocean takes R&B to a new level with the deeply emotional and surreal Blonde. The four years taken to make this was well worth the wait.
guileffb
I can't see what's the catch here. All of the songs are boring and, even when they're only 4 minutes long, they seem to drag the shit around for a lot longer.
Why the fuck does critic like this guy so much?
bitterblossom12
The production is brilliant, the lyrics are stronger than almost anyone's out there; feels like Frank broke through to a new kind album rollout, a new kind of album structure and a new kind of genre.
mxruss
I'm definitely going to need some more listens to this album to fall in love with it like I did with channel ORANGE, but Frank certainly brings both the awesome sounds we love and know, as well as some new and innovative tracks in addition. Some impressive collabs spruce up the album as well as interesting filler sounds to multiple songs. Overall, Ocean continues to impress me with deep vocals and awesome sounds.
uralberk
-2016 AOTY #1-

Frank Ocean took a familiar road on here. Put up a great debut, make radios waiting doors open, then abandon the mainstream expectancies.

This guy had been caving in his stair factory for 4 years and came with one good impressive stair. It is not pretty at all, heavy ratio of these particles are impulsive of what an R&B fan looks for. It is like; he took the 808s & Heartbreak attitude within a James Blake filter, then threw it in the wall. It is a messed up ... read more
EMR
Frank Ocean is back after the long and painful wait that hurt anyone waiting for the 2012's channel Orange follow-up. After a series of patience-testing teases (and a disjointed visual-album), Frank is finally back with Blonde, an album that certainly displays both ambition and maturity to follow the stripped down sound and structure of channel Orange. With a surprising (to say the least) guest-list and an even more confusing cover art, Blonde is the artistic manifesto that many were hoping ... read more
zeldox
Absolutely perfect. From the first to a very last note. Genius showing the rest of the pack where their place is. Way better than Channel orange, however, being more difficult and less accessible (at first listen at least) may not get such universal acclaim.
IvoBraga
I love this album, is poetic, fantastic, personal, Frank Ocean did a wonderful job here.
devulxx
A modern masterpiece, if you are or have ever been young, lyrics and vocal delivery will punch you in the heart.
Frank can be more relatable than before in this project, besides being able to be original in all the songs here.

FAV TRACKS: ALL

LEAST FAV: NONE
luisfeacevedo
This album is different to Channel Orange, It is more personal and shows Frank’s feelings throughout the songs.

Blonde is very deep, it’s beautiful and in another level. In here Frank’s voice is mainly the instrument ( Mainly, not Only, like in Bjork’s Médulla ) and this is what makes it more personal, we can hear frank singing solo in ‘’solo’’, ‘’white ferrari’’, ‘’self control’’ and other ... read more
jtas19
This might have made me gay
one of my favorite albums ever, a lot of different feelings connected to it. skits are lowering the album rating by 5, especially the facebook story one.
Sleezus
Such an amazing album and it hits hard emotionally for me
Emme_Strt
poco equilibrado pero es una buena mezcla de instrumentos, samples y unavoz bastante agradable
perrydeplatypus
I fell like Iam having personal conversations with the man. This album gives out such a nostalgic vibe for me with such minimal production . His style of story telling is so unique , how easily he is able to paint a picture into our heads without any visual cue . Frank's poetry in this album is amazing. He experiments with song structure in such a way that its incredibly catchy in some parts like pink and white and reads as a linear narrative in some parts like white ferrari.If you don't fell ... read more

James Blake - Assume Form
James Blake
Assume Form
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Sharon Van Etten
Remind Me Tomorrow
Deerhunter - Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
Deerhunter
Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
Toro y Moi - Outer Peace