Nicolas Jaar - Sirens
cookie
ambient pop?! get the fuck outta here!
raymon
Jaar isn't afraid to step into new territories. That is why he is one of my favorite electronic artists now. This album delivers poetic messages that reveal themselves after repeated listens. This is a sneaky good album. Once you make the meaning of it, it becomes an engaging listen.
MarkCooper
"I didn't want to make something they could play in a hotel lobby"

Well ya definitely succeeded Nico.

EDIT: Is Nico like adding onto Sirens? Looking at the tracklisting on the cover in his new video for "Coin in Nine Hands," it looks like he's adding all these aftersongs into the mix. Pretty interesting.

Favorite Tracks: The Governor, Killing Time, Three Sides of Nazareth
I honestly don't care if I'm "overrating" this album. The buildup of Sirens is beautiful from start to finish, and has just the most appropriate run time for what it is. There has been lots of moments that just completely blew me away... And this might be an unpopular opinion but the album is better with the vocals it has.

Sirens is honestly exactly what I want from an electronic project. A truly impressive piece of art.
76fex
Professionally forgettable
JulianGomez974
Nicolas Jaar has more to say on this sophomore record, he expands his sound and has a clear concept of what message he wants to promote. I really like how diverse and deep this tracks are, they are very cohesive in lyrics but totally different in production, it's universal in its instruments and outcome. There's some moments where Jaar gets a bit too experimental for my taste and seems to distance himself of the path, however, it's merely seconds and they act as a breath of air for the tracks. ... read more
Gupla
Es un nuevo material de Nicolas Jaar; pero un nuevo titulo que diferencia distintas mecánicas por-diferentes-secciones que dan un parecer más ilustre; más conmovedor que sólo piezas micro-beat con melodías post-francesas. Hay aspectos que se dirigen más en torno al conocimiento de un fondo mejor planteado, y un nuevo anfitrión que rompe con el concepto de cuatro paredes para meterse más en personaje con un disco, que tiene más ... read more
lerkenfeldt
The effortless mix between dence experimental tracks, and more straightforward electronica Jaar showcases on 'Sirens' is absolutely stunning. Since his impressive debut 'Space Is Only Noise' Jaar has been somewhat elusive, but every output, especially under the Darkside moniker, has been of the highest order. 'Sirens' continues this tradition. Its heavy, hypnotic and in places, extremely beautiful.

Favorite moments: The Governor, No, Three Sides of Nazareth.
Aestra19
Typically hypnotic, yet brazenly difficult, Sirens finds Jaar taming the sound he mastered over the years, establishing a new vein of 'musique concrète', wherein found noise blooms into Balearic counterpoint and harsh rhythms.

The album is a marriage that, when tried, often nosedives for others, while in this case, shines and lifts Nico to a place he can truly colonize all on his own. This is a dish best served with patience.
WEIRDEST SHIT IVE EVER HEARD BUT LIT ASF
Fav tracks: The Governor, Three Sides of Nazareth, History Lesson
This album is absolutely brilliant.
All songs cannot be separable. Especially, "No" and "Three Sides of Nazareth" are the best songs of the album.
The singing brings this down immensely. All of the production done by Jaar is outstanding, but I really don't think that vocals were necessary at all here. They never really fit too well with an idm/house style of electronic production.
Kokolores
A three dimensional listening experience.
Unwarranted
Well crafted, amazing production, depth.

But it falls short and feels like a drag to listen to more than a few times.
Enjoyed this a ton, A very serene and creative experimental electronic album with a nice use of repetition and some really cool progressions. I think the vocals are a nice addition too, at first I wasn't crazy about them but I grew to really appreciate what they add to the overall experience of listening to this album. Also Killing Time blows my fuckin mind every time I hear it, definitely my favourite song released in 2016.
YAY it's unreal like I hoped. He's killing it
I love this man to the core. Ugh he is a genius.
uralberk
-2016 AOTY #10-

Honestly, I wasn't expecting Nicolas Jaar to put anything further than IDM/ambient pieces with some rock intervention. Then, here we have Sirens.

We have a classic ambient piece, an avant-rock masterpiece, glithcy interlude, a latino tribute, one noisy hard rock and a fucking soul ballad. Throw Jaar's experimentation all over these formulas and you will have what we already witnessed. He gives no flaws at handling each of these genres. If you don't have a natural dislike for ... read more
I am stunned. As I was with DARKSIDE Psychic album. Love this guy. A strong candidate for the album of the year.
chessmess
I have always found Nicolas Jaar discography to be a cluster of carefully and well stringed together records, that are beautifully chaotic and disorganized in their own perfectionist way. Sirens, however, is by far my least favorite record of his.

History Lesson and The Governor are two very different, but equally great tracks that together carry most of the weight of this record. Everything else just sounds plain and unoriginal.
jed1mark
Me miró en los ojos
Y me dijo:

Ya dijimos No
Pero el Sí está en todo
Lo de adentro y de afuera
Lo de lejos y de cerca
Lo que todos hemos visto
Y lo que ni siquiera dicen
Ya dijimos ¡No!

No nada cambia
Y nada cambia
No nada cambia
Por estos lados

No hay que ver el futuro
Para saber ... read more

LM5
Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want
Daughters
You Won't Get What You Want
The Smashing Pumpkins - Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun.
The Smashing Pumpkins
Shiny and Oh So Bright, Vol. 1 / LP: No Past. No Future. No Sun.

November Playlist