Bonobo - Migration
Migration
boniverski
Everybody wants a new Black Sands record and I'm glad he is not trying to revive it. Migration is really special on its own. Very atmospheric, cinematic, transcendent... Sometimes melancholic, sometimes delirious. It's utterly serene above all. It kinda takes you to another dimension, universe, to whatever place that doesn't exist on Earth. And it feels so good, you truly wish to stay there.
SandyMusicFan
Interesting concept and very well produced.
noonoo97
Bonobo is the art students, wet dream!
Bang
Since this site hasn't added a list feature, and I wasn't planning on reviewing this. I'm just gonna post my song of the year 2016 list here, and I'll post my AOTY list on a different album. Limiting to one song per album, for simplicity.

SONGS I REALLY, REALLY LOVED:

Untitled 06 by Kendrick Lamar

NEAR MASTERPIECES:

In Bloom by Sturgill ... read more
cshults
Beautiful record. Could easily put this on anywhere.
EMR
Bonobo is quite the widely known name in the downtempo/electronica world for some time now, not incorrectly acknowledged as one of the most consistent artists in that music spectrum. On Migration, though, the producer sounds a bit out of hand. Sure, most of the songs here do present a considerable ammount of emotion and life to his instrumentals, but not rarely do we get a handful of tracks that, honestly, don't fall far from the countless soundcloud works from anonymous producers out there, as ... read more
luisdelrey2016
✔ “Migration", “Second Sun”, "Surface" and "No Reason"
✘ "Grains" and "Figure"
bitterblossom12
This album's great- all the live instrumentation, from strings to woodwinds to great percussion and drum beats work together to build swelling, climaxing songs. Love the Rhye feature, love the juxtaposition between the epic front half and darker second half. Couple songs feel a bit blander than the others, but there's not a bad track here.

Favs- Break Apart, Migration, Second Suns, Grains, Figures

Full review: https://reviewsbybitterblossom.wordpress.com/2017/01/24/bonobo-migration/
This is probably my favourite album from him yet, now the same issues I have with his previous two albums still stand here unfortunately, but as usual the production and grooves all over this thing are fuckin awesome, especially on tracks like Outlier, Ontario & Figures. My problems lie primarily with the vocal cuts, they just feel phoned in to me. (particularly the song Break Apart, imo the worst song here) It feels like Bonobo thinks he just has to have a couple tracks with vocals on them ... read more
Faber87
He just reached maturity. Best album of Bonobo, superb.
imneo
The diversity of this album, such as using different instruments, combining the electronic vibes with piano, reflects the different scenes in the road of migration. Still perfect as usual.
daFigz
Seriously? Why is it that I return to this guy’s music time and again and always come away with the same impression? Insanity? Neurotic tendencies? So, Bonobo aka Simon Green makes this record, he names, Migration… Or, is it Black Sands? Or, North Borders? Or, Days To Come? Anyway, Migration sounds pretty in parts. And, I’m guessing as it was being made… While Green tooled away with his various software enhancing music making toys… He probably liked what he was ... read more
Joshua0_o
*73 > 76
Music_Observer
It’s a beautiful sound for those who have acquired a taste for completely atmospheric based music, but for a more eclectic listener it doesn’t provide much substance. My Score: 121/180 (Good) = 67/100
Br
Bonobo, aka British DJ Simon Green, is exceptionally talented at creating music that invokes a feeling of expansion and space, both of which are created gently and sometimes subtly as opposed to the percussive bass drops and drum beats that many associate with this style of music. He also never shies away from injecting new instruments or cultural connections into his music that exist within the sound that he has already mastered as opposed to being a jarring addition or an obvious ... read more
PaulyZ
Tracklist:

Migration (7.0)
Break Apart (feat. Rhye) (8.0)
Outlier (6.2)
Grains (6.9)
Second Sun (7.0)
Surface (feat. Nicole Miglis) (7.8)
Bambro Koyo Ganda (feat. Innov Gnawa) (7.5)
Kerala (7.2)
Ontario (7.0)
No Reason (feat. Nick Murphy) (8.5)
7th Sevens (6.6)
Figures (6.7)
A nice electronic album with some good tracks. It's a little too long in my opinion and is a little front heavy with the first side being considerably better than the second but that doesn't hurt the album too much. A good listen overall.
SeaBass
Really lovely in many moments, there are some duds too. Very good as a producer in creating soundscapes, and actually excited to hear more and more of him.
JulianGomez974
Ambient and moody electronic music it's not easy to digest because well, even if it sounds redundant, it depends a lot on how you're feeling at the moment. I went to listen to this with my best objective view on the matter and I must admit that I was kinda disappointed on how unidimensional the overall project is, but it still manages to have some really great tunes and be a step forward in Bonobo's career. All the collaboration tracks are standouts to me and I wish there was a bit more, maybe ... read more
chessmess
Very easy on the ears, Migration is not out to set itself apart. Rather, it is a cool sounding and enjoyable record but nothing more than that. The electronic soundscapes are not vast, they feel enclosed and convoluted to a degree at which the tunes could almost (emphasis on almost) have been stock music for video editing software.
It relies far more on the warm, inviting textures than it does crafting compositionally memorable songs, but it's still a consistently pleasant listen. I wish there are more tracks on here that, in borrowing elements from Mali or Garage, have a distinct identity. It's apparent Bonobo can make this brand of music competently, if not expertly, but I can't say I know a Bonobo track for what it is when I hear one.
Liamathomas
You kind of forget you're listening to Migration if you leave it on for too long. At it's best, the album is immersive, bold, and cosmic. At it's worst: detached, inactive, and forgettable. There seems to be true inspiration behind the production on Migration, but as a result, the relatively bland vocal features from artists like Rhye and Nick Murphy feel superfluous. Bonobo has crafted a relatively inconsistent record, but its cinematic scope and ambitious nature are undeniable.
MarkCooper
Best thing Bonobo has done in almost 15 years.
Fallendomino
An easy listen that conjures images of a desert mirage--a distant, blurry visualization of salvation.

Notable Songs: "Migration"; "Break Apart (feat. Rhye)"; "Ontario"
Kokolores
An album that gets better with every listen. It starts in transcendent spheres and then opens up, to bring you to a more conscious state of mind. Music is my drug.

Flume - Hi This Is Flume