The xx - I See You
I See You
EMR
The xx's new album sees the band developing their sound with Jamie xx's electronic chops up front as the pivotal point. I See You is a much more mature and forward-looking work in comparison to their stagnant sophomore record, and some of the boldest cuts in the first half prove the point. By stepping out of the incredibly comfortable direction followed by the band in their previous album, The xx reach a new level of strenght here with some well-written songs that predominantly carry out that ... read more
TheSoftBulletin
The xx seem to bring together what they each have to offer to create something none of them could pull of individually, a sound that is recognisably their own.
Fallendomino
Per their MO, The xx continue to deliver bare-bones lyrics accompanied by a range of eclectic instrumentation. However, "I See You" takes the band one step further. Their newfound maturity radiates from every song, taking the listener along a journey of impassioned revelations.

Notable Songs: "Dangerous"; "Say Something Loving"; "A Violent Noise"; "Replica"; "Brave for You"; "On Hold"; "I Dare You"
MarkCooper
My favorite of their albums. As cliché as Jamie's songwriting can be, I love the nocturnal, introverted-dance tone he can pull off. On Hold still sucks, and wasn't a good representation of the album. The music is still "minimal cool-kid" music, but with much more adventurous beats, as compared to their other albums. The lyrics are pretty two-dimensional, but that's never been a strong suit of theirs, nor the main thing to focus on in their music. Romy and Oliver's vocals are ... read more
BruhMan
FAVORITE TRACKS: Dangerous, Say Something Loving, Lips, On Hold, Performance & A Violent Noise

LEAST FAVORITE: I Dare You & Brave for You
After listening to the enormous wave of mediocrity that was present in The xx's first two full length projects, I was blissfully surprised that they redeemed themselves on their third. Everything that was half-assed on xx and Coexist is vastly improved upon here, specifically the production. And with the more powerful and enthusiastic beats, both singers come off as much more focused and driven. I actually hear emotion on I See You, and that makes all the difference. Tracks like "On ... read more
Much, much better than the previous two albums imo, mainly because the tracks actually sound different this time. Jamie brought in some of that diversity and vibrancy to his production that I liked so much from In Colour here, which I think made for some pretty solid tunes on this thing such as Lips, Replica and On Hold. Hell, just 10 seconds into this album when I heard that bassline on Dangerous, I just knew this shit was gonna be better than their first two albums, it just sounded updated ... read more
cookie
did they get girlfriends or something?? I'm tired of this sticky drama
After Coexist, it seemed like The xx was destined for the route of bands like Interpol, Sleigh Bells, etc. where after recycling their sound for a, fairly good, sophomore album, that their third effort would be sluggish and tiresome. But after a hiatus, and more substance to their act, and more...synth and sampling, we find ourselves with a gem of layers.

Favorite tracks: Dangerous, Lips, Performance, On Hold
JAM
The xx corrects their problems from their sophomore album on their third release "I See You". "Coexist" suffered from the band's failure to branch out from their debut. Their second release felt like a watered down blueprint of their first, resulting in a project that felt unmotivated. However, on their most recent release, "I See You", The xx fixes these issues by creating a more colorful sound. The album feels more "poppy", but that doesn't take away ... read more
siberianbreaks
With I See You, their most enjoyable effort yet, the band find themselves on the right path again as they change their name from The zz back to The xx.

The UK-based trio still haven't moved really moved past the routine of keeping things simple, which I think is disappointing. In the latter half of 2009, they broke out with an critical success that made them one of the most influential groups of the decade. The songwriting on that record was bare as bones and not particularly in the good way, ... read more
dyelir
Many bands in the last decade have dwindled away after their lackluster sophomore LPs, with no original content to hold other than their debut. The xx were destined to run the same course, until I See You was released. Here, Jamie xx takes his newly acquired production strengths from his solo album In Colour and puts them into his band's work. This a step in a right direction for a band looking to rewrite their script.
smallpeeble
Fave Tracks:

• On Hold
• I Dare You
daFigz
This new The xx release, 'I See You' has captured my attention for a variety of reasons. The accomplished musicianship, inventive electronic coloring, tempting vocals and overall repeat listen-ability due to the maturity of the band has it in frequent rotation in Hale da Figz. Lest I be remiss by failing to mention that I was frequently treated to media hype by the band… Most notably the great NPR piece that spotlighted not only the release, but also personalized the band members making ... read more
AlienTing
their best and most ambitious album yet, although the lyrics and get a bit cringe worthy sometimes but the vocal delivery saved it. Jamie's introverted production has always been something i've admired.

standouts: say something loving, a violent noise, replica

least fav: on hold (sorry not sorry)
noonoo97
Generic, boring, cold and just terrible.
Talvez melhora a nota depois que conseguir parar de ouvir as 4 primeiras músicas repetindo infinito
plowo
favs: Dangerous, Lips, Brave for You, On Hold and I Dare You.
chlorine
on hold ★★★★★
i dare you ★★★★★
test me ★★★★
heartgears
Shocked by the love for this album. It has such a mediocre middle half where the album just drawls on and on, with lifeless melody and productions that just blend into an unidentifiable melodramatic puddle.
FearFlour
Can be boring but it's well made.

Fav track: On Hold
bitterblossom12
Lyrically devoid of anything interesting, I See You feels like The xx being inserted into unfinished Jamie xx songs. Occasional high points come from Jamie's skilled production work, but the intimacy and feeling of xx or Coexist seems to be gone.
goncalocouto
✅ Say Something Loving | Performance | On Hold | I Dare You
luisfeacevedo
yay yay yay
sxmuel
No one can sound like the xx.
it's a grower
Trindade31
Mira no "atmosférico" mas cai no modorrento muito rápido.
EntryIncomplete
Their best effort yet, changing up the sound just enough.
I used to REALLY dig this band... nowadays I still enjoy there stuff but it gets old fast.
SebastianWolf
Dreamy and lovely. What’s not to like? It’s a little shallow and the vocals don’t always work. I like it tho
mr_kite
Well, it's better than Coexist, which may not be the biggest achievement on their part, but it still makes for an enjoyable release. It recalls Jamie xx's solo work at times.
One of my favourite bands of all times but the songwriting here isnt as strong as on the previous albums. That said, still a good album, just set high standards
earthrain
Favorite songs: Say Something Loving / On Hold
panoramareviews
Con 'I See You', The xx da un gran salto cualitativo, demostrando ambición y desplante. Finalmente con este elepé se desprenden de su categoría de 'promesa'; los londinenses ya son toda una realidad para la música actual. ¿Serán ellos los que definan la música de nuestra generación? Que sigan por este camino no más, que la historia ya se está escribiendo.

Canciones Favoritas: Dangerous, Say Something Loving, Lips, Replica, ... read more
StephenWojtila
Moody, alternative friends try their attempt at colorful pop - with great success.
It isn't quite the album they could potentially make, but it's definitely getting there. Some of these songs are excellent but some really aren't. The production is sharper, though.

Top Tracks: Lips, A Violent Noise, I Dare You

Worst Track: Dangerous
CheapandLethal
Fairly uninspiring
I think this might be their best album so far. I've always found that they have a weird sound and that their songs feel awkward and unfinished. It kind of works on this album.
1. Dangerous - 10

Brave for You // 82
On Hold // 94
I Dare You // 96
Test Me // 86

After a four year wait the XX returned this year with I See You, and boy what a way to come back. I See You is a jewel that sparkles in the light, sending light and joyus euphoria like a disco ball around the room, complemented largely by tracks such as Replica which shows life on the other side of the coin. The XX are one ... read more
Hypnoglitz
Sublime club music. Beats are great, singing is romantic. Overall, highly enjoy how calming this music can be for me.
itsyahboinoah
Probably their best album to date but that isn't saying much where the last two projects felt like amateurish electronic music made for your trendy hipsters.The-xx newest album "i see you" is their most musically ear-grabbing and engaging to date. Thanks to jamie-xx influence from his very bold album "colours", the band has some danceable, vigorous and dynamic set of trackS that has some diversity throughout the record. Tracks such as dangerous, i dare you and the single On ... read more
blinkclyro
I See You shows reminiscing, acceptance and strength, feeling like the most solid chapter in The XX arc but leaving room for the inevitable follow-up to build upon the now strengthened foundations.
The first album I listened to in 2017 and I was so pleased to hear The xx back doing what they’re great at. They work together as a trio better than anyone I’ve heard in such a long time, as they all compliment each other with their vocal dexterity or instrumental talents. Jamie xx is a wizard on production and Oliver and Romy sound better than ever on the vocals, this album set the tone very nicely for what has been a fantastic first half of the year musically.
The xx have always just about met expectations for me. They've never been able to blow me away, but I've never heard an offensively bad song of theirs by any means, with the occasional track at least working its way into playlists for other people. A totally OK project.
FlimFlam
This album is decent from start to finish. Both male and female vocal performances are sharp. The quiet, minimalist guitar and bass parts are effective, and the electronic bits are great compliments. Then again, that has always been the style of this band, and in my opinion, they have done it better before, and more concisely. This album took a while to get going, and it ultimately scored much higher than I predicted when I first started listening, and indeed, it had worn out its welcome a bit ... read more
luisdelrey2016
✔ "Say Something Loving", "A Violent Noise", "Performance" and "I Dare You"
✘ "Lips" and "On Hold"
imimesis
Yeah, I guess there are some decent grooves on this record ("Say Something Loving", "I Dare You"), but I guess I prefer my xx with more Jamie, and a LOT less of the other two (especially Romy's schmaltzy crooning).
No és tan rodó com el seu àlbum de debut, però inclou alguns temes fantàstics .
letitbelau
Loved the work from beginning to end. I found it to be quite insightful and pleasantly eargasmic. It reaches and creeps into my soul due to the perfect combination of deep and meaningful lyrics alltogether with incredible and unqiue instrumental sounds that make the album an ethereal experience.

Best: 1. A Violent Noise 2. Lips 3. Performance 4. Replica 5. Say Something Loving 6. Test Me 7. On Hold

Worst: 1. I Dare You 2. Dangerous (I like it but I feel like I've heard it before and it's ... read more
Digenare
Melhor álbum de 2017. Test Me finaliza de uma forma inexplicavelmente perfeita.

Ariana Grande - thank u, next