William Basinski - A Shadow in Time
A Shadow in Time
buttholewasabi
My personal favourite ambient album from 2017. One of the legends best releases since his iconic album, “The Disintegration Loops”. The atmosphere that is created with A Shadow in Time blew me away upon first listen. It has such a unique sound. The loops with the glacial build up of the first track, “For David Robert Jones” is one of my personal favourite ambient tracks of all time. It is also dedicated to David Bowie, who passed away about a year ago at the time this ... read more
Gupla
No hay muchas vueltas para explicar la esencia que guarda la música de William Basinski, pero a pesar de eso, sin ser una especie de atractivo contundente, es asombroso como sus piezas capturan y despiertan distintas matices que tal vez desconocíamos o no habíamos tenido la oportunidad de haber experimentado – porque de eso todo se trata, de la experiencia.

Tal vez para muchos William Basinski no sea un pilar a parte en estructura, debido a la ausencia de ... read more
Barelydead
"A Shadow in Time", contains 2 songs that are long in length and despite that, are interesting and captive.Thankfully there is progression in these songs, they are not just repetitive and static samples.
" For David Robert Jones" is a kind of tribute to David Bowie.The song is luminous,and feels like it fades slowly.It really doesn't feel like a depressing song, until the last minutes, when from nowhere saxophone music blends with the song which at this point feels like ... read more
notanalt
The Shadow Washes Upon David Robert Jones
luisdelrey2016
► BEST TRACKS: "For David Robert Jones"
► WORST TRACKS: Any
bitterblossom12
Two haunting, ominous pieces of ambient music, changing slowly and ever so subtly to morph into ever darker and more twisted soundscapes. Would recommend if into Empty Bliss Beyond This World.

Full review: https://reviewsbybitterblossom.wordpress.com/2017/02/05/william-basinski-a-shadow-in-time/
chessmess
Reading an interview with William Basinski, I found that there is a huge difference between what I think this sounds like and what William Basinski intends it to sound like. That was what really put me off this album. I was so immersed in it and when I found out that it had nothing to do with everything I imagined, I was frankly pretty disappointed. I feel that Basinski failed to create a consistent picture inside the head of the listener by just saying that the loops are just, and I quote, ... read more
JohnLouisHoward
okay, but such high ratings. maybe AOTY = Ambient of the Year
This is, without a doubt, the most approachable ambient album I have ever heard.
Soul_Feeder
While it doesn’t reach the greatness of “The Disintegration Loops” series, “A Shadow In Time” admirably blends agony with purity and the result is an unmissable album for all ambient’s aficionados.

Read more at: http://soulfeederweb.com/2017/02/william-basinski-shadow-time-album-review/
SeaBass
It's ambient music, and in that respect it succeeds fully, it creates a very defined ambient, a soundscape to be engrossed in.
unknownpleasure
Put me to sleep, which I guess is a good thing.
TheMusicMan
A truly wondrous work of art, especially the title track.
I prefer the title track on here, though the Bowie tribute opener is by no means lackluster. The deep, grainy, hauntingly vague loops truly sink into the brain and create for a listening experience that finds the music creating itself and much as you are, finding little imperfections and flourishes moment by moment, while the whole piece never feels unfamiliar.

Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts