The Smile - Wall of Eyes

WoE takes a more abstract route in comparison to A Light For Attracting Attention and sacrifices Tom Skinner’s creativity shown in the aforementioned album for a more modern take on the state of alt rock. Overall it’s a good record, lacking, though, The Smile’s strongest piece: the drums

GaranHollow

77 | I Quit
84 | Bending Hectic
83 | You Know Me!

TheOwenOswald

the tracks that hit HIT but the ones that don’t just kinda exist

cummaster

The Smile are not beating the Radiohead allegations

I have tooo high of expectations for mr yorke and mr greenwood and jazz man

Adeleine

just kinda boring

lucasbarnts

I immediately liked this project a whole lot better than their debut––it's tight, it's clean, and it's The Smile coming into their own as a fresh, unique perspective. The pacing is perfect, the highs are so high, and the lows always serve a purpose. The orchestration on tracks like "I Quit" is beautiful, and the massive build in "Bending Hectic" is enough to make your head spin. I hope we get a lot more like this from The Smile in years to come.

Best track: ... read more

theletterj

didnt finish this bc i got bored and wanted to listen to beck

Crystal_Diancie

100 Albums Number 15:
I found this to be a fun listen. I would give it a higher score if I didn't listen to it whilst reading a book and writing an essay on that book when that essay was due tomorrow.

Eattin

For people who want Radiohead but with less actual emotion-evicting innovative sounds and just the barebones boring remains. Maybe I'm impatient or uncultured but I think y'all are wrong on this one.

BProd

nan mais ils arrêterons jamais d'être monstrueux c'est terrifiant

tetramythia

pretty good pretty atmospheric and interesting

wished this radio had more head.

just listen to it.

Chordo

“Wall of Eyes” is the second album by the recently-formed band The Smile, notoriously featuring Thom Yorke and Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead. After releasing a solid debut in 2022, I was interested in seeing how this side project would shape up for a follow-up. I was enjoying the approach of this new band, and in this album they did kind of deliver. It’s a nice album, but I honestly don’t get much out of it.

This album consists of atmospheric songs, which I do like, ... read more

Great record! Inevitably it's going to be compared to Radiohead, and I do think it might scratch the itch for fans who didn't quite click with A Light For Attracting Attention. The album is front to back strong songwriting, if a tad on the stripped back side. Highly recommended.

I see why people would like it and all, I think it's a good record.

nickareh1

I loved this album. It's the closest thing we have to a new Radiohead's LP at the moment, and it's quite an experience, it's on par with their previous album, and may even surpass it in many ways, both for the lyrics, the atmosphere, and the beautiful instrumentation. that surrounds you and doesn't let go until the end. Eternal love to Yorke!

ihatemusic59

bending hectic bending hectic bending hectic bending hectic

LilDickyFan444

Definitely an improvement from their debut, this the best Thom has sung in years.

MrPlatypus

Getting some radio head vibes

Saturas

The name sounds like a boss in a video game, anyways, since I heard TANGK, I decided to check out more Art Rock and why not check out an Art Rock record from this year specifically? This album is a masterpiece in my opinion, I'll probably re-visit it several times due to how good it is. Bending Hectic and Read The Room are my favorite songs on this and besides that, I don't really have anything much more to say.

Magical, electric, enchanting, creatively produced, contains what will be surely one of the songs of the year in "Read the Room".

AliceReviews70

This album is amazing, and has only grown on me with time. The atmosphere is gorgeous, Thom sounds great and there are some really creative and super fresh ideas on this album that are a joy to listen to. Yes there are a couple songs I don’t love as much, notably the first song and friend of a friend but they’re still perfectly listenable. Outstanding high points on this album too

milkismillie

Been listening to this album for so long... Need to inject it intravenously.

ElisPlaylist

I wasn't super crazy about The Smile's debut album, but this was much more like it!
The trio manage to carve their own identity on their sophomore effort, and barely come off as just another Radiohead offshoot. Whereas Radiohead songs are more tight and concise, The Smile's tracks on this album are dense, sprawling, dreamlike and atmospheric, even a bit jazzy in places (mostly thanks in part to drummer Tom Skinner's involvement in Sons of Kemet), all this of course, finished off with enticing ... read more