Sylvan Esso - What Now
What Now
VinylHound83
I like her voice but I must be getting old because I just don't get this type of music anymore. Cotton candy repetitive lyrics and computers doing all the work. Moving on to something with more depth.
I do think this is an improvement to their sound from the previous album. While still a little forgettable and quite repetitive, the hooks are stronger, and a better grasp of pop music subverts the gimmick of folksy electronic music I didn't find very convincing. I still like both of them as musicians and performers (it is a super fun live show), so I am hoping they continue to develop their sound into something with a little more teeth.
DalekTurret32

1. Radio
CheapandLethal
Decent
WildChameleon
I know sylvan esso throught a duo with Tune-yards during Nikki Nack tour (this version of rocking chair was awesome !)

Despite a charming voice, everything seem so lazy. There's something but this isn't exploited. Too bad !
Rob_StA
Favorite Songs:
*Die Young
*Radio
*Song
*Just Dancing
*Rewind
Really solid, hectic, messy, subversive pop. 'Radio' is Katy Perry's 'Chained to the Rhythm', except with subtlety, nuance, and clever songwriting.
Sylvan Esso's sophomore album immediately sounds a bit more conventional than their debut for two reasons: the novelty of their folktronica sound has worn off a bit, but they've also shifted more towards an indietronica/electropop vibe. It's hard to stand out in such a crowded genre, but to Sylvan Esso's credit, they embrace the newfound feelgood pop sensibilities to a charming extent, and it succeeds at being a happy, accessible summer album. It's not that substantive but it's usually ... read more
Best album so far this year.
daFigz
The A.V. Club loves to award 100 points to far too many albums. And while Sylvan Esso strives to achieve a cerebral high with their brand of pop... Trite comes to mind. My suggestion is an easy one: Why! I borrowed it from my local library. I returned it to the local library with zero intention of revisiting this band. Recognizing I was 17 once, and had a friend who pranced around proclaiming he'd never survive beyond 21... Well, I'm here. So is he guilty? Is Sylvan Esso? [Shaking my head.] ... read more
Music_Observer
While I didn’t find their sound to be particularly entrancing here, which seemed to be the crux of the album, some of the spaces that they created were quite cool and ethereal, with real worth here being the well-formed melodic shapes that made this music memorable. My Score: 124/180 (Good) = 69/100
winitheju
colorful, exciting, a nice effort

Mac Miller - Circles