SPRINTS - Letter To Self

good vocals/ good instrumentation/ fun tracks/ great energy-mood

FBKong

I keep coming back to this album, and I feel like I want to like it but I just can't. The lyrics are afully repetitive, the vocals really tinny, and the song structures wholly recycled.
To be quite honest, the only reason I ever come back to this is because my auntie was a big SPRINTS fan before she passed away mid last year, and their debut album was something she was looking forward to. Frankly, she didn't miss out on much.

Mustachecash

Maybe I need to listen again, but I found it boring and generic

abesster

Sprints' debut album "Letter to Self" is a whirlwind of raw energy and unflinching honesty. Karla Chubb's fierce vocals cut through the band's blistering post-punk instrumentation, tackling themes of self-doubt, societal pressures, and finding your own voice amidst the chaos. "Letter to Self" is a thrilling, no-holds-barred introduction to one of the UK's most exciting new bands.

N_C_R

A pretty good debut lp that although it has a few weak spots, when it kicks ass, it kicks ASS!!!!

Queen_Ale

This was a pretty decent listen, I liked the constant use of anaphora in the writing, it has some pretty depressing and chaotic lyrics that are emphasized through it, and further amplified by Karla's dynamic or often manic vocals. The production and instrumentation are all pretty good throughout, though there weren't many tracks that stuck with me too much, the ones that did had the most memorable hooks, due to their melodies and repetition most often, particularly Heavy, Cathedral, Literary ... read more

epilepsy

Have i gone crazy, it just wasn’t Substantial ? I didn’t see the critics hype. It felt like a project, that was boring. Vocals were okay. I guess.

MrJameo

2024 banger #1

Fantasio

Letter To Self is the debut album of the Irish garage punk band Sprints after some EPs and singles, and the first record published by City Slang. It provides eleven solid post punk tracks with some which are remarkable, in particular the run from track four to six with "Shaking Their Hands", "Adore Adore Adore" and "Shadow of a doubt". Another great post-punk export from Dublin (following Murder Capital and Fontaines D.C.).

comfycozyrosey

This is mid as hell, lol, I have no clue what the critics are smoking to rate this an 100.

Great debut album, very catchy songs, passionate performances

larkwashere

really, really, unenjoyable album. i hate punk like this that's so derivative, has nothing to it emotionally or story-wise, and doesn't do anything throughout to make me at all engaged in the album. critics are on something. safe to say that this album offends me.

CheapandLethal

Sprints' "Letter to Self" is a masterpiece of modern alt-rock, showcasing the raw power and vulnerability of the human spirit. Karla Chubb's searing vocals resonate with the intensity of Jehnny Beth and PJ Harvey, capturing the whirlwind of emotions that consumes us all. Her lyrics are sharp and unflinching, painting vivid pictures of pain and triumph. Backed by a band that provides a relentless backdrop of tension and release, Sprints creates an atmosphere of catharsis that invites ... read more

wizardeyes

exciting new act to keep an eye on!
you ever hear an album where you don't necessarily click with the material but it makes you excited for what will come next? that's letter to self. this album is packed to the brim with thrilling guitar riffs and a lot of powerful moments that keep my blood pumping. the female vocals hit that perfect post-punk stride and it's honestly a very enthralling album to listen to (especially on a walk which is when i checked this out). not every song is perfect, ... read more

Eedeeot_boii079

idk what critics are straight up yapping for this one. every song is literally just shitty plucky guitar riff + the most generically mixed drums ever + the deadest vocals in the name of a cementery + ooOoOoOOO tensION when the only thing they do is speed up during the last minute to make it seem like they actually did something.

Blasted

It’s pretty standard pop punk. nothing exciting.

I had super high hopes for this when Up and Comer came out. That song is great. The rest of the album is just pretty good at best I think. Overall, I like it. I just don't find myself reaching for it or in love with it. I'd recommend trying this album once for sure.

Jerrilo

Some pretty good highlights and energy all around but it can get boring at times. The middle of the album was a drag with "Adore Adore Adore" and "Can't Get Enough of It" but really amped things up in the end with tracks like "Literary Mind", "A Wreck (A Mess)", and the title track. I'm a big fan of post-punk but this feels a bit half-baked. The enthusiasm is there but it doesn't have so much to offer musically. I would be intrigued to hear a new release ... read more

ilovelistening

This album to me is just an album with nothing that I haven’t already heard loads of times before.
Now I’m not expecting SPRINTS to reinvent the wheel with their debut but I was at least hoping for something to keep my interest because with the 39 minute album I have to say I did feel myself getting bored throughout.
Certain tracks did catch my attention like Shadow of a Doubt and Shaking Their Hands but most of these songs are just mediocre rock that don’t do much ... read more

wanderingstar

Lots of energy, I'd say on par with the average garage rock / post-punk revival project. I like the vocals, raw and mostly interesting. However, the songwriting is a bit cliché and there's a lot of repetition that irritates me after a while. Still, I didn't hate this and would recommend at least a listen.

glhrmtorres

SPRINTS cria uma junção marcante de uma voz feminina poderosa com instrumentos destemidos criando um ambiente "post-punk" com narrativas autênticas. Sinceramente, "Letter To Self" aparenta buscar mais um jogo indeciso e cauteloso em seus tons, mas na verdade tudo o que eu senti com este album foi uma luz quente de labaredas flamejantes.

jerhsey

Boring, repetitive - I think they managed to write all the lyrics to this album on a single page of wide ruled note paper.

zeelee233

The mature garage punk, whether it is the female lead singer or the melody of the guitar, has a full and solid emotion, and the chanting and roaring anger are very beautifully interpreted. The maturity is a bit unexpected, but it may be too "mature" for a rookie band. But many tracks feel too formulaic and lack of change.

OhiMork

though only 39 minutes I felt that this album, though well-produced, lacked staying power as I found the ideas in the second half very repetitive and basic

Ricter22

Mid mid mid mid mid mid mid mid mid mid