glass beach - plastic death

I hate to be this guy, but for me this album just isn’t listenable. I don’t feel that anything interesting is happening, I don’t like the vocals, or the instrumentation. The song-writing is dragged out far too much, leaving these songs feeling tedious and boring. Like, what was the point of this album? Despite these songs undergoing several different phases they don’t add into anything interesting, nor do any of the instrumental or vocal passages stick out to me as ... read more

Helm

I have been rambling on and on and ON about this album on this review box for the past five minutes so I want to keep this brief. A lot of these songs fucking suck. They try too hard to be this new concept, ambitious new artistic evolution for the band, but the only thing I hear is music devoid of life. The vocals (mostly) suck. The instrumentation would be bearable if I didn't feel like every song was a repeat from the last. I think coelcanth is one of the two tracks I liked on this record ... read more

got too ambitious

elpisbutmusic

I appreciate the ambition but it's way too long. It's like an Assassin's Creed game. You can enjoy it a lot but it starts to repeat itself after a while. This could be an easy 9+ if it was shorter.

DAVECHER

The whiny vocals really hold me back from loving this record. The songwriting is creative at times, but man those vocals are just unlistenable.

MotokEkb

this album feels like a more complete experience compared to TFGBA, it opens up to you gradually. i like the well-constructed and well-thought-out nature of their new style. feels a little less personal, though. glad to see glass beach experimenting and exploring new ~~plastic~~ depths with this sound.

lucfredrickson

idk anything about this band or their past but holy shit what did i just listen to (in tears)

owen99

Este es un disco que sin duda...va a crecer en mí.

breckenyoder

good lord. it took me a sec to get into it (as most records do) but man did it start hitting 😭. it’s was so grand and beautiful, i loved the massive production that came through around halfway through every song. that’s my typa shit. i love that. really just music to make you feel things. this was gorgeous. can’t wait to see what they do next.

FourStar

this is Radiohead for Gay people

Shblevins

Loved the thematic blend of electronically tinged art rock alongside acoustic instrumentation and sounds of nature, creating an almost psychedelic atmosphere.

intbaggy

best of the year as of writing. i love how raw and beautifully carfted everything is except slip under the door.

JOJO_Br

Um projeto bastante interessante nas primeiras partes do álbum onde se desenvolve até o meio e se perde na água ao chegar ao final sendo um som muito diferente não ruim, mas eu não gostei particularmente de todos os Moods do projeto.

SirIronOW

Glass beach is an indie band I found out about from a Minecraft streamer. So when I saw they had a new album I had to listen. And fair to say it was a great album. The vocals sound a lot more mature than on the first glass beach album and the thoughts are much more cohesive.

julesparty

wildly different sound from their last album, though not bad.
personally none of the songs hit like their debut album.

Tubbcat

um, yeah, do not expect “the first glass beach album”, that’s all i have to say
fav: rare animal
least fav: whalefall

thi sis so good

KindMrBurger

Songs don’t have a lot of cohesion. From what I can tell there isn’t an overall theme or message/story from listening to the songs from top to bottom. The tone is consistent. Lyrical content is pretty vague and the lyrics aren’t too distinguishable either. The main focus is the fantastic drumming and gorgeous production. There are ‘moments’ on this album which are just amazing, and they never allow the listener to get bored. There is always some new sound or ... read more

lucmadeit

(85->70)

the impact of the initial listening experience has worn off. although i still think this is a good album, i don’t find myself coming back other than for 1 or 2 songs… some cool ideas and big production are presented on this album but some of it falls short. it just ends up being a few amazing tracks, a few solid ones and then a handful of forgettable ones that don’t bring anything new.

CheapandLethal

Glass Beach's "Plastic Death" captivates with its narrative cohesiveness and maximalist instrumentation, exhibiting the band's songwriting prowess. Standout tracks feature intricate guitar work, polyrhythmic adventures, and a blend of haunting strings and gargoyle-esque screams. While McClendon's lyrics are poetic and murmured, their relaxed nature provides a bit of a barrier. Nonetheless, the album's epic conclusion with "Commatose" and "Abyss Angel" leaves a ... read more

phabnatom

ilovefriday

PapaWholeWheat

Its got some good songs. I've got to listen few more times before I think its a really good album.

RealPeterGriffi

I can't express the joy I'm feeling at this current moment, I get it, I fucking get the album

watermilan

good record, i love the variety this album offers. although some songs i can't really defend, some are more interesting than most indie albums. it has a strong opener, great third quarter and good ending as well. i cant stand the birds part on guitar for some reason, some of the writing can get weird in this record even though the chorus of guitar song is pretty cool, if we can ignore the cheesiest acoustic guitar i've heard.

favorite track: coelacanth
least favorite track: guitar song

wizardeyes

an expansive deviation beneath the depths
plastic death has been an album i've highly anticipated ever since it was first announced, and my god i am so happy with how this turned out. by far the first GREAT album to come out from this year, and we're only a few weeks into the year. but to talk about why i love this album, i need to give some context to their previous work.
the first glass beach album, their last project released back in 2019, is one of my favorite albums of all time. like, top ... read more