King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe
Space Vacation
Thank you very much to @TreyLikesBands for sending me this suggestion!

I've never actually listened to one of King Gizzard's albums before, considering how many they have released in such a short amount of time you'd think I could have even accidentally stumbled into them by now!

This album makes me think of mid to late 90's cartoon openings for some reason, like a really high energy action packed theme song.
Which of course I mean as a compliment! I could see people from many different ... read more
Jesus, God, Lord in the tittyfucking Heavens I wish this was just 3 really long tracks. This album, as i'll state, is extremely good, but JESUS CHRIST does splitting the three tracks up like this help anyone? I guess for newcomers it makes the songs easier to digest, but sooner or later they are just gonna become accustomed to these THREE LONG SONGS and just listen to the album like so. It's a damn shame that we don't have a version that is just three long songs, at lest on streaming. It would ... read more
dlspslb
If you're on team Balrog, your opinion doesn't count
MusicSucks
V O M I T
C O F F I N
Flawless

Edit: 2nd favorite album of all time

Okay so let me explain...

When I originally was listening to all of King Gizzard's discography, I kind of set this one aside as a more experiential and thought-provoking release of theirs. Like "okay this is really cool, but they have better albums." And it has been like that ever since about an hour ago now...

I listened to the whole thing, from front to back, which, for some odd reason, I had never done before with this record. After ... read more
GoldenChords
First impressions

Initial score: 65 (without considering the concept)

Lyrics 60 (as always, weak songwriting)

Instrumentation 70 (repetitive, even for a Krautrock influenced album, but at least has exciting moments)

Call me crazy, but the Gizzverse seems to be a real thing and not just another over-thought vague theory (like Kendrick dropping a second album on Easter Sunday, NATION.). Not exactly as the whole speculations are trying to tell us.

First chapter: ... read more
angrymother
Coisa feia
this shit bangs. took a second to grow on me though
Goddammit, King Gizz! Just when I thought you guys couldn't get any better, you had to throw this monstrosity at me!
Murder Of The Universe has such a loud and entertaining sound that had me captivated right from the start. The concept behind this record is also incredibly fun, being a story that you would see in a B-list monster movie. Every single track on here adds to the story and it is all needed: there is absolutely no filler. I do feel like pretty much all of the songs should have been ... read more
MiaWatterson
Vomit coffin! Am I the only one who really likes the story telling thing in this? I may change the position of Murder Of The Universe on my list soon
AvgLizardHead
It would be 100 but imma cyborg racist
Kokolores
The Gizzards are crazy. You cannot be sure whether it is art or a giant piss-take. Maybe something in-between. At a breakneck pace you are lashed through the concept story at the end even too tired for vomiting. The Gizzards a are an oustanding band though.
They should have spent more time fleshing out this incredibly creative idea for an album. We don't need 5 albums in one year, especially when your albums are as conceptually inventive as this, this shit felt really rushed.
In a massive concept album that goes all out with it's story and how it is told, Murder of the Universe is one of the most ambitious efforts from King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard to date, not to mention one of the most ambitious of the year as well.
The heavy, groovy psychedelic riffs that remain consistent (although a little monotonous) through the whole album is the largest success factor for me. They go from large, monolithic songs to slower, lyrically-focused songs that really shine ... read more
Bjartolini
there are few times an album actually makes me physically hurt and upset from listening to it, this genuinely makes me feel unwell because of how repetitive and god awful it is. now if you like this album thats completely fine, but personally i would rather listen to pretty much anything else in this world
taevisk
Alright, this is a really cool concept album. I gotta listen to this like 5 more times
FedeX
If it wasn't for the last act on the album, this would have been an excellent album
notbuzzzila
GREAT

My favorite King Gizzard album, this is crayzay
Exceptionally delicious sounding album that extends well past it's own genre.
andreAnimator
ALTERED BEAST
meu favorito do chad king gizzard and the lizard wizard
OpiesFuneral
Most of it’s alright, with the exception of the first act, which is fucking insufferable.
The productions kind of weird but i do really enjoy this, the spoken word is fun and the melodies are catchy af
itsyahboinoah
A unique theme and concept from this record that sadly fells short due to the production feeling less adventurous as their previous records this year.
blinkclyro
One can only guess at what lies ahead in the apparently jazz influenced follow-up release, Sketches of Brunswick East, but if it’s as unique and self-assured as this, we’ll be in for another treat of an album.
maciek91
This album is a pure fire, destruction and catharsis. One of the most prog LPs in King Gizzard’s enormous collection of records is energetic and rewarding journey through the vast landscapes filled with mighty beasts, monsters and cosmic balance.

The pace of Mad Max’s pursuits is constantly present, which might be exhausting, but also exhilarating and thrilling. You just can’t stop thinking about jumping into mosh pit. And that’s just freaking great. Many people might ... read more
Music_Observer
This work of psychedelic rock art is full to the brim with ambition, direction, and power that shakes the listener to their core; if the listener is willing to fully take this work in as it’s presented, it can be cooler beyond imagination. My Score: 146/180 (Great) = 81/100
th_initiator
Before this album, I had no idea of the band's existence. I am now, a tad bit happy of my discovery of this band. Their style is very unique, but a few songs seem a tiny bit bland.

Good album, anyways.
ErdreAudio
I am a little bit surprised by the ratings of this album. At first listening I found it quite repetitive, as everyone, but it has grown on me and it still does. It's good, it's consistant, it's funny. Better album than Microtonal Banana, according to me.
Lord of lightning & digital black are standout tracks.
chessmess
I think most people's issues with this album could be alleviated by just ignoring part 1 of the album and just listening to part 2 and 3 instead.

The album relies heavily on its themes and influences. The thematic influences are a "either you like it or hate it" thing. I personally feel that part 2 and 3 by themselves are masterpieces, but the addition of part 1 just makes it feel bloated
abdcorner
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard appear to understand the inanity of concept albums by making an inane concept album. "Murder of the Universe," especially the first disc, sounds like a dime-store paperback sci-fi novel as we follow along with an Altered Beast, Balrog, and a robot who desires to be live – to feel the act of vomiting – only to die. Reading along feels like a chore, especially during the first disc, as it reveals a poor attempt to write Samuel ... read more
Audiohype
So monotonous and repetitive, I don't know how anyone could listen to this for pleasure.
Joshua0_o
Enjoying this more than Microtonal Banana. This album is pretty long but it never trails off or turns stale. The narrative popping up through the entire record is a funny gimmick, but also adds to the cohesion of the album.

Fav tracks: Altered Beast I, The Lord of Lightning, The Balrog, Murder of the Universe
kidhead
another one??? lmao
Jer
Given the amount of tracks and the length of them I was a little worried about the overall quality of the album. But King Gizzard has proved again and again that they can and will top their previous albums. This is the sequel to Nonagon Infinity we all wanted and (as far as I know) wanted this to be.

I will subtract points for the amount of songs alone. A lot could have been turned into one long song, but that's the only complaint I have upon first listens

Favorite Tracks: Altered Beast II, ... read more