Deerhunter - Cryptograms
Cryptograms
scott96k
Having only listened to one Deerhunter album being Fading Frontier, I was pleasantly surprised by the overall sound of Cryptograms. But then again just look at that wonderful album cover, that pretty much illustrates the psychedelic aurora of these tracks, maybe I should have guessed. Like SiberianBreaks has mentioned, the best thing about this album is actually the tracks that feature no vocals just nice melodic ambient pieces. That being said, the tracks with vocals are still pretty good. ... read more
A huge improvement over their debut, a sufficiently interesting record in order to deserve one or more listens, and a hint to the great stuff that might follow.
MarkCooper
Very sonic-driven, what amazes me most is that the albums they made after this were Microcastle and Weird Era Cont..... That blows my mind. I mean talk about songwriting chops, jeez. To me, these albums sound like they're from different bands, and all three are awesome.

Favorite Tracks: Red Ink, Hazel St, Spring Hall Convert, White Ink, Octet
EMR
Deerhunter have been a really difficult band to put in a nutshell right from the beginning, with their noise/post-punk origins an experimental influences, but its actually the unexpected indie-rock tendencies in their sound that made it really tough for listeners to understand their artistic identity, or even connect with their music. On Cryptograms, the album that many consider to be their debut, this feeling of obscurity and strangeness had been shown to the world in a most upfront manner, ... read more
TheBravesDH
I think even Bradford wishes this was the debut album. I wonder how many people check out early because much of the first plays like an ambient jam band and miss out on the pop bliss on the back end.
Atrocityblubber
While this is an impressive debut for deer Hunter it drags alot which can make this feel boring at times but overall this is a solid debut album
rosevean
#1 Intro
#2 Cryptograms
#5 Providence
#8 Spring Hall Convert
#9 Strange Lights
#10 Hazel St
PreeMo
It's like Cox didn't even want that you understand him and the artistic directions he explored within this album...

I like what's going on here, but can't really deny that the confusion got me...
CheapandLethal
Superb
Felindie
Fav Tracks: Cryptograms, Strange Lights
Errandboy
This is some of Deerhunter's most experimental stuff here, relying less on hooks and more on repetition and effects. While the ambient moments aren't the best, the back end of this record is absolutely fantastic, and is still some of Deerhunter's best work.

Fav Tracks: Spring Hall Convert, Strange Lights, Cryptograms, Hazel St., Heatherwood
mxruss
There's a lot of ambience on Deerhunter's second LP, Cryptograms. Ambience aside, there are a lot of short little indie jams that give a hint of what's in store of the quartet. It's hard to appreciate this album as much as works like Halcyon Digest and Microcastle, but Cryptograms is actually quite an impressive release.

Ariana Grande - thank u, next