The Notwist - Neon Golden

Neon Golden

Lucmun

This one was lost on me. The monotone vocals and dull, robotic instrumentation were factors that kept me constantly checking how far along I was in this expressionless excursion.

Barelydead

It has low quality and it's Dull

They play up to the German reputation for being a little stiff and robotic - ok not Kraftwerk levels but this still sounds factory assembled.

Robo emo das ist (quite) gut!

a career high, never to be repeated.

CheapandLethal

Exceptional

Tom Simmons

Fav Tracks: Pick Up The Phone, Consequence, One With The Freaks, This Room, Pilot, One Step Inside Doesn't Mean You Understand, Off The Rails

Album #11 (Jan. 15th)

This is quite a cool "indie-tronica" album (though I dislike that term). As I kind of expected going in knowing the genre, the production and sound-design here is pretty great and a major highlight of the album. Particularly, I love the blend of strings with electronic elements that is used across the album. The drums on "This Room" are also notably awesome.

Most of the songs here are pretty great too, though I found a couple ("Pick Up the ... read more

ROXAAN

WOW!
So fucking gorgeous.

ricardomcr

My first listen of 2019.
I like how these guys thread the line between electronic and rock instrumentals.
Eventually I found myself being drawn to the more sparse/minimalistic sections, some of the detail there is very eargrabbing in the way that slight changes are operated with each passing repetition of the theme.
The vocals aren't really for me, that's the one downfall, and it's just a mather of personal taste. I wish they would show a larger emotional range, it sounds a bit ... read more

Faber87

Simply a Masterpiece.

EMR

The germans Notwist create their most successful album both comercially and artistically speaking, with a huge update in their sound and usual aesthetics and some high level songwriting that remains consistent throughout the whole tracklisting. The band wears some of their most obvious influences on their sleeves here, sometimes sounding like a mix of Radiohead and Wilco, in an interesting blend of electronic, glitchy production a la Kid A, with some very organic and indie-like alternative ... read more

musictoliveto

I won't pretend there aren't moments when my interest wanes while listening to this, but also, I always come back to it, eventually. That's the mark of good music (or at least music I truly like), for me. It doesn't stay forgotten. It's always there in your subconscious, having a solo jam session in the recesses of your mind and waiting for you to join in someday... and somehow, inexorably, you do.

I think the stiff and robotic german performance really fits this one

1. 7/10