Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy
Twin Fantasy
Gotta love it when an album makes you want to smile, cry, jump, and embarrass yourself by singing along, and often all at the same time. In all honesty, few albums have made me feel as deeply as Twin Fantasy: Will is probably the best rock songwriter of his generation, and his incredibly vulnerable and personal story is nearly flawless in my eyes. The bitterness and hurt on the original is replaced with newfound wisdom and perspective, replacing heartbreak and spite, with reflection and ... read more
Full review on my YouTube channel @brad taste in music

I didn’t know this had a previous version. Without seeing the other version though, I find this one to be remarkably well recorded and ambitious to the core. Lyrically it is ambiguous and reflective.

I loved it, great record. I only have given it a few listens so I may need more. Definitely front runner for AOTY

(Edit) original score is 87, then 91. This album keeps growing. I have heard the original and I think it is also ... read more
Thanks for 100 followers <3

With what this album already means to me, I might as well face this inevitable moment

For every listen of this album after the first one, I failed at keeping myself together every. single. time.

This album really marks the friendship I've had and a very important journey in my life. I'm honestly overwhelmed by emotions whenever the words of Will Toledo strikes a chord with me.

"I am a good person. I am a powerful person. I don't believe in evil. I think ... read more
Looks like im finally coming around ;)

Edit: Yep, its official, Im in love
msx24
from someone who could not get into the original because it sounded like I was listening to a rock band at full blast in a tunnel with Will Toledo singing into a running washing machine. I have to say I finally understand why everyone sees this album as a classic. This re recorded version really made me love this album and it's my favorite album by Car Seat Headrest and of 2018 far.
MySoftBulletin
I met Will Toledo last night, I am now obliged to give this a 100

This might just be the best album to come out this decade.
jordymusic
From anguish to glee and not missing a spot inbetween Car Seat Headrest paint a heartfelt reminiscence exploring the hustle of youth and relationship on Twin Fantasy

The lyrics have impacful retrospective qualities throughout and the arrangements and song dynamics are so thoroughly diverse that even the longest tracks don't become tame for a second, some of the shorter tracks get repetitive lyrically but artistically still work well

Feel like this will grow on me even more throughout the year
frienderman
This is one of those albums that I immediately loved from the first listen. Will Toledo has reimagined a previous work of art and turned it into a magnum opus. This is perhaps one of the most relatable, touching, endearing, and personal albums I've ever listened to, and its genius solidifies itself with songs that meander around the human psyche, sexuality, and love.

I'm not overreacting when I call this a modern classic because I have no doubt that people will look back on this album a ... read more
Henny
Edit: This is consistently growing on me, like shit!

Car Seat Headrest delivers one of the most relaxing Indie Rock projects i have ever heard, from the beginning track and also my favorite track My Boy, you see that this is supposed to be an emotional, relaxing and vibe-full experience. Which is exactly what it is, I love the concistency in the entrie tracklist. And even though i'm not the biggest fan of long songs, i still managed to enjoy the ones on this album, "Famous Prophets" ... read more
FearFlour
If you're a depressed, closeted, pothead teenager with 7 friends, and you just can't seem to "figure it all out", listen to this album. It won't make you feel better or anything but you'll suuuuure find it relatable. Not like I relate to it. No, sir. Not at all.

Essential tracks: Beach Life-In-Death, Nervous Young Inhumans, Cute Thing, My Boy.
chairycherry
(2018) (Check out my review of the original 'Twin Fantasy' as well, it tells you about most of my opinion on this album.) This album just improves an album that I already enjoyed very much. Greatest thing this album fixed is the general sound of the original 'Twin Fantasy'. Now it doesn't sound like this album was recorded by a Strokes wannabe band. The instrumentation is also so much better here, probably because the musicians working on this are more experienced now; it sounds a lot fuller ... read more
“Twin Fantasy” was released on Bandcamp in 2011. The recording was messy... VERY MESSY! But it did show Car Seat Headrest's emotionally powerful and heartfelt songwriting and huge potential! Now, it's completely remade and it's so much easier to appreciate the witty, honest and heartfelt songwriting on display. It's one of the most reflective and passionate records I’ve ever heard and it’s a modern classic!

Fav Tracks: Beach Life-In-Death, Cute Thing, Bodys, Sober to ... read more
Aoaystheory
It was great then, and it's great now. The definition of a timeless record.
Tacorillaz
Yep a masterpiece and yes I cried

multiple times
nemgax
best album for emotional catharsis
As someone who didn't fall in love with the original, this only further reaffirms Will's immense of talent even if some of these songs are from 2011. Not only does the re-recording add a new sense of clarity to the record, it also allows Will's pained and clever lyrics to rightfully shine. The tracks who got more than just a re-recording (some tracks are practically new tracks with only elements of their original that peek through) are improved on quite a bit, which results in the album's most ... read more
Midline
Few musicians have or ever will make a statement as powerful and as grandiose as Twin Fantasy.
Atrocityblubber
99% of me wants to give this a perfect score but that 1% of me doesn't want to still one of the best albums I'd ever heard

Edit:That 1% of me has died now
dlspslb
wow this album got me really emotional, damn
favourite tracks: beach life in death, sober to death, bodys, cute thing, high to death
least favourite track: nervous young inhumans
smallpeeble
Idk but i got a weezer ish vibes although they are the slower and bland version; perhaps their music is not for me. but wait since their album deals with themes of depression, mental illness, love, and homosexuality so i'll just based that for my ratings
"That's my bipolar shit! Thats my super power, ain't no disability!" -Kanye 2018

Some days I hate this as much as the doors and others I consider it Top 5 AOTY
amw100
This album improves the professional quality of the original while somehow keeping its rawness. An emotional roller-coaster that'll leave you lost in your thoughts.
LepardRyan
This album is stunning, I am blown away. There is so much here to lyrically unpack that it will probably require many more listens to fully appreciate this album.
Cyd
This becomes even greater with every listen. Before I had it at an 8.6, but this truly is deserved of a 9. I've been listening to this album most days since I found it and I can't see myself getting tired of it. Beautiful album.

Edit: Fuck it. This is one of the best albums oat.
annpearson
Where all that praise is coming from? I see nothing but generic indie-by-numbers record, vocals are terrible, melodies are non-existent, and sound is just lo-fi pretensiuosness. I wonder how awful the original record was that they needed to remake it. Pure drivel.
distraughtonaut
Such a beautiful album filled with so many amazing moments. I'm glad I finally got around to giving it a try- because it has been all I have listened to since. Also: don't judge it based on the length of the songs! I was intimidated at first by 16 minute songs, but they do such a brilliant job of making it work. I look forward to going backward and checking out more of Will's work!

Favs: BODYS, Cute Thing, High to Death, Beach Life-in-Death
Hawk_
Do you have something against dogs???
Caffro
Most replayed album of 2018!

Toledo graces us with yet another rock opus. And I think he succeeds even better this time. Inhumans, Bodys and Cute Thing are some of my favourite songs of the year period, and this motherfucker puts them back to back to back. Mad yoke.
liammenzies
The fresh lick of paint to Twin Fantasy only goes to show the timelessness of its narrative and why many regard it as one of the best indie rock albums of this century.
Razzle_Dazzle
Twin Fantasy re-release stands the test of patience and audacity. With biblical boldness, it is every step beyond the original release relying on a revamped framework handled by post-modern, state-of-the-art studio techniques. After multiple listens, all tracks appear to tie up whatever unresolved loose ends Will Toledo’s relationships bore for him, emphasizing the so-needed fresh new aura to this album.

The most remarkable transformation takes place in Nervous Young Inhumans. What ... read more
Essential Tracks: Beach Life in Death, Stop Smoking, Sober to Death, Bodys, Cute Thing, High To Death.

The "Boyhood" of alternative rock, CSH uses a relationship and profound lyrics to create a stunning album.
JohnLouisHoward
good do over. there are do overs in music, right?
Good to see that this album is getting the recognition it deserves with Toledo's recent reworking. The new mixes don't really change my opinion of the album, however I still have to say that the original lo-fi aesthetic of the 2011 Twin Fantasy will never be matched in future CSH releases.
mehercanthuman
how can we ever thank the universe enough for Will Toledo's existence?
KingKroolisbest
Greatest album of all time IMO.
I felt more emotions in this than in Infinity War.
mz
Life Of The Death, Conjunction.
sumrapsungs

- Cute Thing | 10
- High to Death | 9
- Famous Prophets (Stars) | 8
- Twin Fantasy (Those Boys) | 6
Goddamnit. Am I even legally allowed to give 3 tens in a year? Cause this is an incredible album. It almost made me on the verge of tears. I'm trying to hold them back writing this. From Will Toledo's great and also retrospective lyrics, to his vocals, to the absolutely incredible production, this album is an amazing experience throughout.

Now, I haven't listened to the original recording of this album at the time of writing this, but even without that in mind, this is an incredible album on ... read more
ZeroString
This album is hands down one of the best indie rock albums of the decade.

I really like this. It's raw and noisy, the concept is really well thought, and the lyrics are really sincere, heart-breaking and relatable. I think you can enjoy this album a bit more if you imagine it like a movie, because it is. This album is a ride of non-stop raw emotion, and it's portrayed in such a powerfull way.

I went into this album closed-minded, because i thought this was going to be some strange thing that ... read more
what
i like the part where he said 'you got some nice shoulders'
and its true, i do have some nice shoulders.
thanks for noticing
MinatoArisato
Will Toledo's Twin Fantasy was always an extremely great record and now with this new 2018 rework of Car Seat Headrest's classic album it is now bordeline close to absolute perfection. Twin Fantasy is an indie rock record that excels in all areas. Will Toledo's singing isn't perfrct but it brilliant in how it's tone is able to convey that sort of teen angst vibe similar to the way Rivers Coumo during weezer's goldrn age. Speaking of teen angst this record captures it beautifully, Twin Fantasy ... read more
The remaster of twin fantasy is a standout album amongst an indie rock scene that becomes increasingly blander as it pushes boundaries in its approach in delivery ranging in the emotions it presents; this allows immense storytelling for the listener to follow and become involved with
thisisabtlgrnd
What's left to say at this point?

Will is one of the most relatable lyricists I've ever heard, and he has the tunes to back it up. Twin Fantasy certainly isn't very boundary pushing musically (you could even call it regressive, in a way), but it's certainly one of the best conceived, developed, and executed rock albums of the decade. Strong proof that you don't always need to break new ground to make important art.

Favorite songs: Beach Life-In-Death, High to Death, Bodys, Famous Prophets ... read more
CHEENYUS
'stop smoking' is catchy as hell

FAVORITE TRACKS:
Beach Life-In-Death, Stop Smoking (We Love You), Sober to Death, Bodys, Cute Thing, High to Death

LEAST FAVORITE TRACK:
My Boy (Twin Fantasy)

James Blake - Assume Form
James Blake
Assume Form
Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
Sharon Van Etten
Remind Me Tomorrow
Deerhunter - Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
Deerhunter
Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared?
The Twilight Sad - It Won/T Be Like This All the Time