Future - High Off Life
May 15, 2020
The CEO of misogyny decides to bless us with a surprise album. Time to stop everything you're doing, open your holy books and follow as he guides us in the streets.

Firstly, I feel very happy for him that he's getting off the drugs and striving to accomplish the life he craves after achieving his veteran status in the genre. And this is has a glaring impact on this album: it is Future's most sober, most down to earth, and one of his most meditative projects yet. He's already proven himself to be a powerhouse, and how he's working on his music with no pressure.

However, the quality on High off Life is kinda eeehhhh. I like Future despite his flawed discog, and I was always ready to defend albums like the WIZRD, but this isn't up there with hus best works.

And that's a bummer because it has huge potential, and actually has a distinct vibe and sound despite being different than the grimy, dark, production thay he usually hops on.

The production is fairly admirable: the guitar-driven beats surprisingly doesn't sound basic or dated due to how overused they are in the current field of, as they are pretty well distinguished, well performed, and more impactful than most contemporaries in the bunch. The other beats also are usually pretty good, as this album, despite its length, has a great set of instrumentals going for it.

And as I mentioned, this is Future's most sober and realised album to date, and he delivers on the premises. His performances aren't as freaky as some of his features, but he doesn't need to, because he brings enough depth and introspection to his tone and lyrics that dive mostly into stardom and drug use, solidifying the tone this LP brings.

However, many things prevent this album from truly being great: let's get out of the way the fact that Future, as gifted as he is, cannot make a 21 track album and it being great all throughout. I get that he wants to up his streams and capitalising on Life is Good, but this doesn't change the fact that it hurts the album.

Also, what the hell is with these features? What was Travis Scott thinking on this? Why did Young Thug play ir safe here? Why does Uzi sound as uninterested as he was? This ain't a new trap generic artist that blew up off a Cole Bennett music video ffs, y'all get into a Future song and phone it in like this? Bruh. One last thing to mention, is that the singles being all placed at the last leg of the album was a bad move. These were all okay to bad singles, and you have ruined the prolific run this album had until the sixteenth track. Life is Good twice? Really?

So yeah, these are mt thoughts on High off Life. I admire what this album represents for Future and he does bring quality tracks in the process, but it also has its glaring flaws that are too apparent to ignore.
Comments