Iron Maiden - The X Factor
Nov 16, 2019 (updated Feb 4, 2020)
I can't really say all that much about The X Factor. Most of my complaints about it has already been well stated in my reviews of Iron Maiden's other 90s records. This is the first of the two albums featuring Blaze Bayley as the vocalist rather than Bruce Dickinson, and he's obviously nowhere near as good as Bruce. I think that Blaze gets a lot of unfair hate though, especially where he really is not the biggest fault in this album.

This is really one of the couple times where I would blame the other members of the band for such a lackluster release. The instrumentation is so underwhelming, and it doesn't sound like it could come from one of, if not the best heavy metal bands of all time. The opener, "Sign of the Cross", is one of the few genuinely good songs here. It is one of the more progressive tracks in the Iron Maiden discography at the time, and I like the very technical bass, and dark undertones the song has. There is even a choir that joins in. Then there is also songs here like the terrible "2 AM", making the album a pretty mixed bag.

The X Factor remains as one of Iron Maiden's most boring works, and feels only like a small, unwanted fracture of their old selves.

Favorite tracks: "Sign of the Cross", "Lord of the Flies"

Least favorite tracks: "2 AM", "The Aftermath"
Comments