100 gecs - 1000 gecs and the Tree of Clues
Jul 10, 2020
While they don't get too much recognition in the mainstream, last year with their debut album, 1000 Gecs, 100 Gecs managed to secure their spot as one of the most incredibly overrated groups in the small online music world. On their debut, while they were experimental, I thought that was all they had going for them, and the whole thing just seemed very gimmicky. Now, with 51 minutes of remixes, the Gecs up the ante, being even weirder than the last time. If you loved the last record, I'm sure this one will be even more exciting, but as someone who was not a fan, this is even worse. All this remixing and extra layers of instrumentation does not make things any more palatable, and just leaves even more things to annoy me. I can say OoOoH ExPeRimEnTaL all I want, and can respect the duo for doing something unique, but very very little of the time does the experimentation equal actual good songwriting. There were a couple of songs that had some interesting ideas, but then 1000 more bad ideas to make this obnoxious. I get the appeal a tiny bit, but wow, for the most part this was just unlistenable.

Favorite tracks: Huh...that is a good question

Least favorite tracks: "money machine", "stupid horse", "ringtone" (both versions), "gec 2 Ü" (both versions), "toothless"
21stcenturyschi's Tags