Blink-182 - Enema of the State
Apr 12, 2021 (updated Apr 21, 2021)
The third studio album by American pop-punk band blink-182, this marked the first album of theirs consisting of drummer Travis Barker, and is a massive improvement of what was already a strong sophomore album. Now, the first three tracks I’m not that big into. Dumpweed I recognise as a great song, but I can’t really get into it as an album opener. Don’t leave me is another one that I recognise as great, but can’t properly get into. And then aliens exist is, in my opinion, the weakest on the album, despite me recognising it as a good song. However, after the first three tracks, this album really picks up. Going away to college is great. What’s my age again is my favourite blink-182 song, I just really like the guitarwork on it, I think the lyrics are pretty good, and Mark Hollis sounds really good on it. Dysentery Gary is another great track, Tom delonge actually doesn’t sound that bad. Adams song is probably the only blink-182 song I can think of that has a serious message in the lyrics. All the small things is a pop punk classic, and is one of the highlights of the album. The party song is yet another great song, I like the instrumental to it a lot. Mutt and Wendy clear are both really good. And then the last track, anthem. One of the best on the record. I really like it, if you listened to it on its own you would question why it was an album ender, but in the context of the album, it closes it off really well. Despite the great tracks, Tom delonges voice, whilst not as bad as it was in Cheshire Cat or dude ranch, is still annoying. I found the production to not be great, but besides that, I think this is an almost perfect pop punk record.
Top three tracks: