Low - Double Negative
Dec 21, 2018 (updated Jan 26, 2019)
MY AOTY 2018:
Writing a review for this album has felt impossible. But perhaps that's the best way to describe it, its an album that doesn't seem tangible, if you tried to chain it to a word, Double negative would just go right through it and up into the clouds.

It reminds me of The Flaming Lips "The Terror" album, much like this record, its made me return to a band, I'd never given muuch thought of, and reexamined their sound with a new level of gratitude.

While I have very little clue what the meaning behinds the words that inhabit this record are, they are sung in such a way, that they hit you, "Tempest" is the perfect example of this, "Even if you won't" or "Even when you're on" its hard to make out what the phrase is being sung at the core of this track, but fuck I love it, this album definitely took a distorted bath, and its broken parts are the ones you really really want to piece together and figure out, but so far I haven't been able to as if it were a record for the sub-conscious. I'd therefore say, this is my favorite mood-driven record of the year. (I do wish the female lead vocals, were less effected though, she has such a gorgeous voice)

Favourites: TEMPTEST, Always Up, Fly, Always Trying to Work It Out, Dancing and Fire, Poor Sucker,
Comments