Leon Vynehall - Rare, Forever
Apr 30, 2021 (updated May 2, 2021)
"Snakeskin ∞ Has-Been" broke the spell this record had put me under but "Worm (& Closer & Closer)" re-enchanted and so the loop goes.

"Dumbo" I'd probably hear in the club and people would love it but I'd just return to the bar and get another drink, but here, with the context of an entire album, I get it. Leon plays with various musical languages and combines them. I understand the BOCanada influence of "Ece! Ego!, I've got the Tim Hecker ambience of "Farewell! Magnus Gabbro" but whatever is going on in "Snakeskin"and "Dumbo" I'm not too used to that, and that's fucking awesome, much like Jaar, Vynehall is opening things, at least to me. I remember wondering why my friends didn't like any of his "Nothing Is Still" record despite being able to listen to a 2-hour DJ set from Francesco Del Garda moments later. I think I'm slowly getting it, his balancing of the different worlds was too much titled to one side on that record but here I think he may have found equilibrium because this record is gorgeous.
Comments
Maroon 5
JORDI
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Butterfly 3000
Butterfly 3000
Bo Burnham - Inside (The Songs)
Bo Burnham