Giveon - TAKE TIME
Jul 2, 2020
Um... sleepy vibe music with some potential?

Everything about this is competent. The production is really nice and all mixed in a way that adds to the atmosphere Giveon was going for, and the vocals clearly show a lot of talent. But it's just not adventurous. Like, at all. Yeah there's some cool ideas here and there that must've taken a certain amount of creativity, like the guitar effects on THIS AIN'T LOVE and VANISH. Unfortunately though, the songwriting itself is uninspired, leaving the whole project feeling a little lacking.

It is nice to listen to, and even though I'm calling it sleepy vibe music, it's actually pretty good if that's what you're looking for. Me personally though, I tend to like my R&B to leave a little bit more of an impression. I think the talent is here though, and I could definitely see Giveon coming out with a great project if he takes a few more risks. But I'm not judging this project based off of how good Giveon could hypothetically be in the future. I'm judging it based off of what it is: pretty alright sleepy vibe music.

Favorite track: LIKE I WANT YOU