Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Feb 13, 2020
(just a heads up, being Australian means we get most albums earlier than the rest of the world, so I just want to qualify that this rating is coming from listening to the finished product, not the leak)

Kevin Parker is a true perfectionist when it comes to his music. Its been five years since he subverted all our expectations with the electro-oriented Currents, so I was imagining his next release to be something altogether different and exciting. Which is why I find The Slow Rush an almost bitter-sweet moment. On one hand, I can't help but feel Kevin isn't quite happy with what was produced with it being only a minimal evolution on what was done on Currents. On the other hand, it is still a pretty special record. Both Tame Impala's most accessible and ethereal release yet, The Slow Rush doesn't quite flow like Lonerism or Currents, but each individual song is well crafted, incredibly groovy and lyrically meaningful, exploring the passing of time and both the angst and comfort this natural part of life brings. Yes, it isn't Kevin's finest hour, but it is indelible proof that (if this is one of his weaker moments) Tame Impala is one of this generations great artists.

Best track: Breathe Deeper- I initially thought that Posthumous Forgiveness was going to be my favourite due to the fact it is the best single released in the build up, however it is next track Breathe Deeper that impressed me instead. This multifaceted track is classic Tame Impala, built upon an infectious synth line and layered in immensely psychedelic tones.
Comments