Empty Country - Empty Country
I am very proud of my music taste these days. I am not going to argue that my taste is somehow better (and I hope to God I am not sounding pretentious), but I look back on the journey I have taken to get where I am and I can't help but smile. However, deep down, I am still that kid that was weened on indie rock, I am still that fifteen-year-old who worshipped Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes. Every now and then, all I want is a fix or pure, raw indie rock, and that is exactly what Empty Country gives me. The solo project of Cymbals Eat Guitars frontman Joseph D'Agostino (a band I must confess I am not all too familiar with), this debut LP is a wonderfully crafted indie rock album with touches of Americana and country throughout. Lyrically, its emotional and angsty, like any album of this genre should be. Instrumentally, it's a surprisingly diverse affair, and while some of the longer cuts can get a little tiresome, it still manages to carry through till the end. A gem of a record, and one any fan of indie rock shouldn't let slip from their yearly listening.

Best track: Diamond- This song makes me want to pack my bags and drive somewhere far away, preferably with lots of tall trees and a nice, warm climate. It is just one of those infectiously dreaming 'road-trip' songs. Shame I can't do any of those things with all this corona business.
Comments