Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Feb 2, 2019 (updated Feb 3, 2019)
It is pretty cliche, even perceived laziness to hail this as an amazing album, but why would it be called anything else? Probably my favourite album of all time, I listen to this thing at leat once or twice a month. Beautiful from back to front, the album encapsulates everything that makes Pink Floyd's music so brilliant, transcending progressive rock into a universal odyssey of sound and genius. For me, it strikes the perfect balance between experimental ambition and grounded accessibility, with songs like Time and Money being both catchy rock classics and wild, psychedelic trips that that deal in abstract song structures. Lyrically, this album is minimalistic, with 4 of the ten tracks being instrumentals, but what Waters, Gilmour and Wright do sing is prophetic and real, transcending time with universal lyrics revolving around death, mental health and modernity that have managed to resonate beyond the contextually turbulent 70s. The praises I sing for this album have all been sung a hundred times before me and will probably be continued after me, but as I said, there is a damn good reason for it.
Comments