070 Shake - Modus Vivendi
Jan 19, 2020
I came to know Kanye's protégé 070 Shake the same way as everyone, through the absolutely beautiful verse on "Ghost Town" of "ye". I have been following her career since, as I very much fallen in love with her autotune-heavy rnb sound. Safe, to say, I was very hyped for "Modus Vivendi" and I'm satisfied with what I got.
Shake's voice is the heart & soul of this project, as she carries all of the 14 tracks easily by herself, sounding a bit like a cross between "Yeezus", BROCKHAMPTON and a more down-to-Earth melodic Tierra Whack. A weird combination, I know, but I can't explain it better. She creates a beautiful soundscape, where her on point storytelling full of intent flourishes.
As for any negatives, I do feel that the production makes each song sound a bit similar, especially in the second half of the project. I would like some more personality in each song beat-wise, even if that may not have been the intent.

Overall, Shake crafted a fantastic debut where her unique sound and personally storytelling won me over. She's not afraid to break genre convention and "Modus Vivendi" makes her an artist to keep your eyes on.

Standouts: Come Around, Morrow, Rocketship, The Pines, Guilty Conscience, Nice To Have, Under The Moon, Flight319
Jan 19, 2020