M.I.A. - Matangi
Jan 9, 2014
Haters gonna hate, but M.I.A. is an amazing artist. She threw the middle finger (mudra) not only to the NFL and the Super Bowl, but to those who thought she would succumb to the game of the music industry. Even though she worked with some mainstream producers like Danja, Hit-Boy and Doc McKinne, Matangi is not as inviting as Arular or Kala. It's more experimental, shifting pace abruptly to make crazy, busy — and sometimes weird — collages. "Come Walk With Me" is the best example because it deals with a simple songwriting colliding with multiple sources of sounds, volumes and samples. The album lacks the pop subversions of the first two ones, but settles itself in the multi-layered, noisy and fresh sounds combined with her worldbeat/ dancehall basis. For me, it's as if M.I.A. had caught the essence of her previous works and digested them into Matangi. I can feel touches of her whole discography here, even of the incredible and underrated /\/\/\Y/\. I think the multiple delays demaged the album a little bit, specially when it comes to the unnecessary repetition of the song featuring The Weeknd and some songs I considered fillers, like "Lights", "Know It Ain't Right"; "Bad Girls" is undoubtedly amazing, but it seems a bit weary and outworn taking into account the whole concept — blame it on the label. However, this LP is very good, with interesting songs and more highs than lows. My favourite tracks are "Warriors", "Come Walk With Me", "Double Bubble Trouble", "Y.A.L.A." and "Bring the Noize".
Comments