BROCKHAMPTON - ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE
Apr 8, 2021 (updated Apr 9, 2021)
This album is something incredible. The light was well worth the wait. Everything about this album is fine tuned and beautiful or grimey and hard and the difference in this makes it a wonderful package. This is more than brockhamptons best album this is one of the best albums I've heard this year. While it does have some problems for me as a big fan of bh like chain on being here and really not much done to it either than a dom verse for the casual fans this will be amazing. Brockhamptons final year is off to an untouchable start.
EDIT: I feel like after a million listens through this album I can put my feelings abt it into perspective.

ROADRUNNER did a lot for me. Helped me kinda beat this funk I've been in, a very heavy bout of depression I've be hiding, and it really helped me understand some feelings I've had. The boys have always helped me with that.

Obviously I have a bit of bias towards this album but i genuinely prefer it to the boys projects. This new R&B centered sound is great. Tracks like "ILL TAKE YOU ON" and "WHEN I BALL" are some of the best on the album.

They still have some classic brockhampton bangers in "BUZZCUT", "BANKROLL" and "WINDOWS" which are great especially bankroll which has been deeply beloved by the brockhampton community since the iri era.

But this album isnt the usual brockhampton affair. You'll learn quick one member shines incredibly bright on this project. JOBA.

Unfortunately joba lost his father to suicide and its obvious this album was his outlet for this pain. You hear it in "THE LIGHT" and "THE LIGHT PT 2" but the scariest for me is jobas verse in "DONT SHOOT UP THE PARTY" where he details having to talk his father out of shooting himself. Its obvious joba needed this album and it shows because this is hands down jobas best performances and his most mature.

I think the first 4 track run of this album is a bit disorganized. "BUZZCUT" is fantastic and "CHAIN ON" is good but having heard it back on the technical difficulties project last summer I cant help but miss "HOLD ME" but what ruins the run for me is "COUNT ON ME" which I believe to be one of thier weakest songs to date. "BANKROLL" brings it back for me and from then on it's the best material they have ever put out.

The boys have put out something incredible

9.5/10