Loathe - I Let It in and It Took Everything
Feb 17, 2020
Loathe’s new LP carries metalcore to new heights, filled with so many things at once. This anger-filled LP hits hard, with compelling lyrics, harsh noise and atmospheric toned-down synths, which pressures the limits of the genre. There are definitely some clear inspirations on the LP, from nu-metal band Deftones to the noise of Code Orange. Yet Loathe stands on their own bare feet, leaving me at moments blown away. “New Faces in the Dark” and “Heavy is the Head...” are examples of what this band can deliver at their hard hitting best. The record also has its moments of breath, with beautiful atmospheric interludes and incredible “Is It Really You?”, which builds on the lyrical front very well. “I Let It in...” explores the ideas of dealing with pain and anger, from self-reflection to the outer. Not every track are able to reach the top however, like on “Two-Way Mirror” which doesn’t really bring any new light to the album. Yet even this song offers something to like, and I struggle to find a bad criticism towards the album. "I Let It in and It Took Everything" is depressing, thoughtful and incredible instrumentally, kicking off Loathe’s carrier to a broader audience. I believe they can answer with an even better release in the future.
Comments