Travis Scott - ASTROWORLD
Aug 13, 2018
While not perfect, Travis Scott pulls through with a very wild and intoxicating trap album in ASTROWORLD.

Travis attempts to return to form in "ASTROWORLD" as he brings back his trippy and savage vibe that grabbed our attention in "Days Before Rodeo" and even "Rodeo" itself. There are no bad songs on here per se, but maybe this album could have done with one or two fewer songs to have a bit tighter of an experience/aesthetic so it didn't give off a whiff of redundancy. You can forgive this along with the share of low energy lyricism out of Travis by wrapping yourself in the warm blanket that is the production of tracks like WAKE UP, which gives us a very addicting hook from The Weeknd, and NC-17, a very icy cold and melodic banger

Throughout the album you hear very liquidy panning from one end to the other, on top of very pretty, echoey phasers. What you'd expect out of Travis. We are also blessed with very clever and wise features, such as Drake in SICKO MODE.

One thing I can't unhear is how almost identical the main flows are in WHO? WHAT! and the very next track, BUTTERFLY EFFECT, though the taste this leaves in my mouth isn't bad enough for me to spit it all out. After this part, our patience is challenged with HOUSTONFORNICATION, which is upbeat, but doesn't provide anything to compete with what we've heard from the rest of the album. This is the filler track of the album. And finally, on COFFEE BEAN, we are given a relatively personal, more mellow song. While this doesn't emotionally do anything for me, I can respect and appreciate this track for its purpose in closing the album out and providing us with a more gentle feel while we reflect on the acid trip we just experienced.

Overall, ASTROWORLD is a very exciting and relevant album that brings out the child in all of us... well, those of us who wanted to be trap lords growing up, anyway.

best: STARGAZING, SICKO MODE, WAKE UP, NC-17, WHO? WHAT!
worst: HOUSTONFORNICATION