Polyphia - New Levels New Devils
Oct 24, 2018
Essentially "dubstepping" the most headache inducing elements from Dance Gavin tier Warped-Tour core garbage, "New Levels New Devils" puts on a great show for people who still wear shants in 2018, wherever they are.

This album is full of very obnoxious guitar tones, needlessly technical and mathy riffs and production with no tasteful musical breaks ever, and just a complete lack of real deviation to permit itself to be called math rock. It's technical post-rock, really. There aren't enough proggy elements in this for my personal math rock taste, and a lot of the vibes in this album feel like only that one snapback wearing tattooed douche who plays djent guitar and is much older than the rest of his peers would feel them.

The best I can say about this album is the fact that it definitely displays the bands ability to be technical, but it's way overly produced, like all the old garbage back in the Rise Records days. It feels too straightforward and robotic to feel good for me. Had this been approached with a bit more natural of a feel and sound, I might like this more.

best: O.D, Bad, Yas
worst: Saucy, So Strange, G.O.A.T.
Oct 27, 2018
thank you for being the only rational reviewer to review this.
Oct 31, 2018
Jan 7, 2019
I would give it a higher score, but the points you bring up are fair.
regent