Enter Shikari - Nothing Is True & Everything Is Possible
Apr 21, 2020
Wow... now THIS is experimental, dude. For Enter Shikari, anyway. The UK grimey post-hardcorestep bros are together again for something totally new, and I am completely here for it. Nothing is True & Everything is Possible is a bold step forward for the British beatsteppers.

From the very first track, the brightly colored keys and synths win me over. The songwriting here is classic Enter Shikari, whether you notice it right away or not. Based on what I've seen from particular reviews, people seem to think this is a betrayal of form. I disagree. This direction is absolutely not surprising to me. While being new, ambitious, and even a dangerous risk, my ears don't really perceive this as that far of a jump. Just like Jesus is King feels like another Kanye album, Nothing is True & Everything is Possible is still 100% an Enter Shikari album. It doesn't need cheesy breakdowns or hyper loud bass sections from an era long dead to still feel like a signature Enter Shikari record.

Marionettes (I. The Discovery of Strings) is a bit of an exception to that, serving as a bit of a far off venture from the band's typical approach. It isn't bad, but it does feel particularly not as genuine as the rest of the tracks. Even the following track Marionettes (II. The Ascent) feels genuinely Enter Shikari, and even reminds me of other albums from our dudes like A Flash Flood of Colour or even The Mindsweep. You really do get some pretty damn solid rock songs from this album. This album is quite in contrast with other albums I've been listening to this year, which are normally short but feel like a drag... this one is a bit meatier but doesn't feel quite long enough. This album is 44 minutes long, and it tasted so good, I want more, even though I'm definitely full.

satellites* * is such an interesting song because it's so traditionally Enter Shikari, while even incorporating a layer of Ed Sheern-esque songwriting during a particular leg of the song, which I ACTUALLY DON'T HATE! Somehow the band is able to combine their upbeat, fast paced approach with a modern twist, and I can't get myself to hate it. thē kĭñg was a track that, to my ears, had a start that kind of had awkward footing, but the upbeat, smile inducing chorus that incorporates some ska type horns really make this track quite fun. Nothing as amazing as other songs we've got so far, but man, Enter Shikari really got lucky here. This song was almost a generic write-off, but it's just quirky enough to work for me.

The finale Waltzing Off the Face of the Earth (II. Piangevole) really seals the deal. It's a very elegant synthy 3/4 outro that serves as a glittery ribbon on the gift wrap of galactic stardust this album is covered in. The album really finishes off quite powerfully.

Nothing Is True & Everything Is Possible is a very brave, yet very masterfully done venture into new ground for a band that has never been afraid to reinvent themselves nearly every album release. This album is fantastic on its own, but also fits perfectly in such a variety filled discography from this band of musical veterans. Props to Enter Shikari for being able to release a new album out of nowhere (to me anyway) and manage to still do what they do best in a way that tastes fresh today. While slightly blemished, this album is thoroughly enjoyable and very up to date and current.

best: THE GREAT UNKNOWN, Crossing the Rubicon, { The Dreamer’s Hotel }, modern living...., apøcaholics anonymøus (main theme in B minor), the pressure's on., T.I.N.A., Elegy for Extinction, Marionettes (II. The Ascent), satellites* *, Waltzing Off the Face of the Earth (II. Piangevole)

worst: Waltzing Off the Face of the Earth (I. Crescendo), Marionettes (I. The Discovery of Strings)
Comments
Legends Never Die
Kid Cudi - The Adventures Of Moon Man And Slim Shady
Kid Cudi
The Adventures Of Moon Man And Slim Shady
Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?
Jessie Ware