Chat Pile - God’s Country
Chat Pile's God's Country is easily the best metal album I've heard all year. Being a heavy, hearty, beefy, and THICK noisy sludgy loud industrial metal album, God's Country is pretty linear, yet somehow, offers so much throughout it's entire 40 minutes. While listening to this album and browsing info on the band, I realized I've already listened to this band before. Spotify randomly recommended me Remove Your Skin Please, and what I heard from that was excellent, so it was a pleasant surprise to see a band I just recently started casually listening to had been making waves for a new release. I thought I'd give God's Country a chance, and I was beautifully rewarded.

God's Country starts with Slaughterhouse, a hard hitting dark track with a very satisfying home base of shouting "HAMMERS AND GREASE!" as loud as possible. The guitar and bass have made it their mission to be as hard hitting as possible. There's something so goth about the drums and the overall general aesthetic about this song (and a lot of the album as well) that for some reason reminds me of Depeche Mode or something? I know this sounds absolutely nothing like Depeche Mode, but how surprised would you be to see some Depeche Mode tees at a Chat Pile show? I would be zero percent surprised, personally. Anyway, this is one of the best songs I've heard all year, and it magnificently sets the stage for Why, a driving and pounding song about homelessness. It's not utterly profound, it's just a simple observation and simple question, but the vast power of shouting "Why do people have to live outside? Why? WHY!?" perfectly encapsulates the failings of our society without having to do anything else. And I, too, could not survive out on the streets. This song just hits me in the feels, which is really hard for loud and noisy music to do. Usually, loud songs like this make me feel good without going that deep. This one makes me feel genuine rage at society. It's fucking beautiful.

Pamela features a little more of that Depeche Mode energy I was mentioning earlier. I'm normally not into that twangy reverby guitar sound, but I think it certainly does the album favors here. The amount of aggression and loudness reminds me a lot of stuff I used to see at Warped Tour when I was young. This is music for high energy music lovers who are trying to face plant off of a stack amp. Wicked Puppet Dance gives me a little more Nailbomb, but maybe with a strong helping of Daughters? Its angry and confused tone are very easy to enjoy. Anywhere feels like a Code Orange radio rock song. It's a good one. It's not as dense as some other stuff on here, but it's a great track nonetheless. Tropical Beaches, Inc. just gets right into with its eerie and off-kilter lead guitar that eventually brings us somewhere more stable with these loud screams and angrily driving bass and drums. This makes me just wanna mosh like crazy. The industrial vibes are strong on this one.

The Mask is one of the darkest and most grim tracks on here, with some very tightly knit drums that sound natural, but feel as if they are being performed by a cyborg. The guitar riffage on here just drives me wild. Is it repetitive? Does it change often? I can't tell if I'm going to different places or staying in one place. God's Country is a journey through Hell. I Don't Care If I Burn is easily the winner for my least favorite track. This song isn't as garbage as some very generic filler tracks can be, but this one is just a tough one to swallow, and it's not because of its artistic density... it's because of it's lack of anything nutritious. I can see the ambition of a track like this, and maybe this album did need a little bit of a breather track, despite how unsettling it is. I wouldn't remove this song from the album, but I would never listen to it on its own.

grimace_smoking_weed.jpeg is certainly a kiler track, but I don't think it's the best track on here like other people seem to think. It's too progressive, too multifaceted to be the best track on here. Bear with me, I'm not saying those traits make this song bad. If you know me, you know complex prog rock and math rock is my jam. I just think the best songs on an album are the ones that you can isolate and listen to over and over when you don't feel like listening to an entire album, and grimace_smoking_weed.jpeg certainly has isolated listening power, but not as much as Slaughterhouse, Why, Pamela... etc. It's a great track, and it closes the album out well, but you know what I'm saying. You know what I'm referring to. I've talked about this occurrence in many of my reviews... because it happens often.

Anyway, God's Country is fantastic. Listen to it right goddamn now if you haven't yet. It's dark, loud, painful, and smart. I can't tell if I want to become a vegan and change the world, or if I want to burn everything to the ground, myself included. This album just knows how to reach into the deepest corners of my soul to make feel real emotion, which is a crazy thought considering what this album sounds like. I don't listen to loud punchy metal like this to feel feelings, yet here I am, feeling angry, sad, exhausted, and ready for death.

Yes. God's Country is beautiful. Yes.

best: Slaughterhouse | Why | Pamela | Wicked Puppet Dance | Anywhere | Tropical Beaches, Inc. | The Mask

worst: I Don't Care If I Burn