Giveon - TAKE TIME
May 26, 2020
POTENTIAL!

Although I definitely had my issues with "Dark Lane Demo Tapes", one of the undeniably better moments on the tape has to be the simultaneously nocturnal and seductive chorus by Giveon on the track, "Chicago Freestyle". Just off that chorus alone, I was compelled to give this brief project a go.

Giveon is making some simplistic, succinct and most importantly fucking sexy R&B. In Giveon's attempt to refining a very by-the-numbers and to-the-point R&B sound, he ends up with a pretty admirable approach. What I find so likeable about Giveon's approach about R&B is how he bridges the two worlds of R&B. I've been complaining and ranting about what's happening in the mainstream R&B scene to friends for years. There seem to be less and less significant or innovative R&B albums in the mainstream, each album seems to simply be repeating the same formulaic, trendy and heartless approach, making the genre one of the more bland genres out there.

That being said, I don't want to come across as an oldhead, shaking his fist and begging for the old days. I simply would like to see more passion and real sensuality in R&B music. Giveon might stumble along the way. However with "TAKE TIME", Giveon might be doing something sort of special. Giveon's vocals and song structures are clearly inspired by some of the older, legendary R&B outfits of the 90's. However, he puts this more soulful and purposeful sound in a modern light, which mixes the two eras of R&B in a way that he is melding the best aspects of each era. Moreover, I think any fan of R&B should really love this.

That's the truth. Don't get me wrong, Giveon still has a lot to work on when it comes to building memorable and engaging choruses and the pacing of a song. I also feel as if his wondrous and soul-stirring vocals are poorly utilized on a couple tracks here and there. I'd also hope that as Giveon's career progresses, he'll find some more intricate or at least alluring production to go along with his voice.

That's all I have to say. It's worth a try. The way that Giveon gives some life and color into a saturated R&B scene is certainly admirable. I honestly hope that Giveon will blow up sooner and later! I'll be on the lookout for new material until then!

BEST TRACKS: "FAVORITE MISTAKE", "THIS AIN'T LOVE"

WORST TRACK: "HEARTBREAK ANNIVERSARY"
AndreVital's Tags