Mogwai - As The Love Continues
Feb 19, 2021
Mogwai's latest LP is far from the compelling post-rock they are known for delivering, nevertheless Mogwai are such an agreeable & enjoyable band, that even some of the more dull moments are still pleasant to the ear.

I was looking forward to this new album since I consider myself a bit of a Mogwai fan, I do return to albums like "Happy Songs For Happy People" & "The Hawk Is Howling" more often than I'd imagine. Even if I haven't really invested myself into any of the more recent work and the singles weren't the most exciting to me, I was expecting at least to use this as a gateway into binging their music once more because of my review...

...and yeah, I probably will. But the most abhorrent part of this album is that I really don't have much to say. This is a Mogwai record. It sounds like Mogwai. This album doesn't even really feel like an LP though. To me, this is maybe just a cut above most of their soundtrack work like 2020's "ZEROZEROZERO" or 2018's "KIN". Take that as you may. I mean, I do enjoy some of their soundtrack work yet still I guess I'm a little disappointed by how inessential this felt. I was hoping for a more urgent and punchy album especially since I thought the single, "Ritchie Sacramento" was hinting towards that direction. Ultimately, this is maybe Mogwai's most "background-music" album yet. Apart from some redundancies which don't work for me, the majority of this is pretty likeable for just the vibe. Nonetheless, after deeper listening, this just doesn't feel very high-impact.

It's okay. I'll take it. Especially since I can enjoy some more trademark Mogwai song titles like "Fuck Off Money". Maybe this is what I should expect from Mogwai at this stage of their career so eh. Hopefully, it'll grow on me. This is still a Mogwai album after all.

BEST TRACKS: "Ritchie Sacramento", "Drive The Nail", "Pat Stains"

WORST TRACKS: "To the Bin My Friend, Tonight We Vacate Earth" "Supposedly, We Were Nightmares"
Comments
CARNAGE
Silk Sonic - Leave the Door Open
Silk Sonic
Leave the Door Open
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - L.W.
L.W.