Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow
Jul 9, 2019 (updated Jan 16, 2020)
BAND OF THE WEEK: Album Review #4

Underrated doesn't even begin to cover it. Mostly dismissed by critics, lukewarm reception from fans, this pop masterpiece flew under the radar and stayed there. To be fair, BBC created a recipe for dismissal by consistently changing their sound which most likely alienated and divided fans and made it easy for critics to put up their blinders and not give this record the listens it deserved.

Every single member shines, especially singer and front man Steadman whose vocal range is shown in full spectrum as well as the fact that he produced the record itself. Saram's drumming is still fast and furious but calculated and enhances every track. Nash's bass lines are undeniably funky and play a key role instead of support. And MacColl shines like normal, but instead of standing in the spotlight he delivers the final touch to make the album near perfect. e fruitful. Their inspiration ranges from World music to Gospel and much more. Not a single track is weak and everyone of them could have been a single. On top of all of that, the music videos to accompany them are stellar. From "Home By Now's" 5th grade reenactment of 2001 A Space Odyssey, to "Luna's" beautifully choreographed swimmers troupe, to "Feel's" Indian inspired party, they went all out on the video front.

If you've ever listened to BBC or this record and dismissed them in any way, this album is rebuttal. If on first listen you feel underwhelmed, maybe it's not loud enough. Try again.

Original Review:

I believe I first listened to this record when I initially started branching out and listening to as many genres of music as I could, instead of sticking to my comfort zone.

Anyways, back when I used to listen to this record it was one I would listen to regularly. Currently, I don't have very many records like that (Maybe The Front Bottoms debut, or Lorde's sophomore record. But nothing concrete.), but I used to have a decent catalogue of such records, thanks to an iPod I had filled with downloaded music from LimeWire. Good times. I believe this fell at the end of that stretch, but this might have even been one of the first records I found from this site, back when I wasn't rating stuff. Can't remember when I originally found it, but loved it nonetheless.

At this point it's a little hard to tell how much nostalgia is effecting my rating, but I can confidently say it's worth checking out. I don't think I've visited this record in around 3 years, but I had a lot of fun returning to it after seeing a compilation EP from them pop up on my music streaming service. Honestly, stuff like that reminds me why I love music so much and why I follow it so closely. It's weird how underground stuff like this some of us can fall in love with, while accepting that a lot of people will find it unoriginal or nothing special, without it affecting our opinion. This is such a record for me, if you check it out, enjoy.

Favorite Tracks: : Luna, It's Alright Now