Richard Dawson - 2020
Oct 12, 2019
The hardest test for any artist, especially coming off of an universally well-received record, is to be able to reinvent their sound, without losing that magic that makes them unique and satisfies their fan-base in the same stroke.

Well, Richard Dawson did not fuck that up in the least bit and even made newcomers, such as myself (I loved Peasant) want to explore his back-catalogue. This record is clearly his own, but entirely different from his last one (which, if you haven't heard it, go check it out). The rich, highly original folk melodies are still here, but with some added rock elements. Dawson has perfected the art of twisting familiar melodies into something strangely beautiful; reinventing the wheel, if you will. This, with the handful of electronic elements, enhance this record's central concept to being not just a great story, but a grand experience. I always cringe when artist take on an album title which they can't fulfill sonically, but Dawson does us a solid and makes a record that sounds like it should be named "2020." One connection I mentally made while halfway through is this is sort of the musical equivalent to the novel "Infinite Jest" (Google if you're unfamiliar, my favorite novel of all time). With themes such as anxiety, or dreading going to a job you hate every day, Dawson delivers a concept record in a way only he's capable of doing. Great experience, incredible lyrics, a journey you cannot miss in 2019.

Favorite Tracks: Jogging, Dead Dog in an Alleyway, Two Halves, Heart Emoji

Least Favorite: Fresher's Ball
Aoaystheory's Tags
Oct 12, 2019
oh hell yeah! great review dude, Dawson is so amazing!
Oct 12, 2019
Totally agree! Thanks for the support man! I need to listen to his whole back catalogue, no disappointments thus far.
Oct 13, 2019
Nothing important has really cool structure ;) The only problem I have with Dawson is that I really don't like his voice ! It frustrates me SO MUCH because I love every other asthetics of his music (How many time I listen Ogre just for the progression of the song...). He is the same type as Joanna Newsom : you like the voice ? Bingo
Oct 13, 2019
@wildchameleon that would be frustrating, but I like his vocals a ton! Guess, hopefully they grow on you eventually!
Oct 13, 2019
Unfortunaly I know his music since quite few years and his voice really doesn't click on me, so I think I will be constantly frustrating :(
dearsongs