Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview On Phenomenal Nature
Feb 19, 2021
Everyday life is something so complex, yet so simple. I think this is where the beauty of this album lies on — simplistic melodies making everything so comfortable without turning it boring. 'An Overview on Phenomenal Nature' has this peaceful atmosphere surrounding it, and thus making it a very moody album. I would play this one in those days where I need something to place me inside of my brain and just relax.

I don't know if it's because of the album cover, but all the tracks feels like sunrise and pastel colors pouring in my head. The texture on Jenkins' voice is just marvelous, but sometimes the instrumental overlaps her voice too much and it really bothers me to not hear her really well. I think she should've put her voice more forward in the production...

The first four tracks are the best ones ('Crosshairs' and 'Michelangelo' being my favorites) and 'Hard Drive' is therapy in a track. The second half is a bit bland in comparison to the rest, however in any moment the record gets boring or bad. I really appreciated the finger plucked strings on 'Ambiguous Norway'. 'The Ramble' is full of lovely urban and nature sounds and it's such a beautiful closing track to this!

It's raining on my town, so I think this made listening to this record even better and aesthetic while seeing the raindrops falling. I am happy that I gave this one a try.

I don't know if it's just me or... this kind of sounds like music that would be in a soundtrack of a Studio Ghibli animation?
Comments