Dreamville - Revenge of the Dreamers III
Jul 5, 2019 (updated Jul 7, 2019)
On an intitial listen, this has a lot of the same issues as Top Dawg Entertainment's soundtrack for Black Panther last year — the talent disparity between the best members of Dreamville and the lesser members is so strong that whenever one of them comes on a track, I feel like I really only want to wait until one of the major figures like Cole, J.I.D, Doctur Dot, Johnny Venus, or Bas is on the track.

With that being said, the verses from outside artists are all very good; DaBaby continues his tear of excellent guest appearances on the intro "Under The Sun" and fits in surprisingly well on a beat I would not have placed him on, the second half of "Oh Wow... Swerve" is excellent with a great Maxo Kream feature, REASON is a TDE signee who I'm not all that familiar with but I thought him playing off Cozz on "LamboTruck" was engaging, and Young Nudy's opening verse on "Down Bad" only left me wishing it were longer and not cut off (we're not going to talk about his nasally vocals on "Sunset," perhaps the worst track on the album), Vince Staples is phenomenal as always on "Rembrandt... Run It Back," and I liked what Saba and Smino brought to album closer "Sacrifices."

J.I.D is this album's MVP in my opinion; while I loved pretty much every verse on "Down Bad" besides J. Cole's, and Johnny Venus nearly steals the show at the end, J.I.D's verse is outstanding and really sets the tone for the track. "Costa Rica" is a collab with Florida rappers Ski Mask the Slump God and Smokepurpp that J.I.D is front and center on; and his verses on "1993" and "Remembrant... Run It Back" are quality as well. He handles the majority of the load on "Ladies, Ladies, Ladies," too, albeit there is an enjoyable appearance from T.I. on the back end there that ties things together well.

J. Cole plays a similar role on this album to what Kendrick did on the "Black Panther" soundtrack last year, and while I found his verse to be falling short compared to others on the single "Down Bad," his verses are up to par for the majority of this project. His appearance in the first half of "Oh Wow... Swerve" is perhaps my favorite on this project, as his smooth delivery fits the production, and the in typical Cole fashion, he pukes all over the track with corny lines like "So active on the radio, I'm radioactive." Him teaming up with DaBaby just feels like him having to acknowledge that there's another rapper in Carolina who's doing numbers, but considering Cole's style is more of a laid back delivery whereas DaBaby is at his best with witty bars about violence, the combination is awkward at best. With that being said, Cole fits in well on most of the tracks on the second half of this compilation ("1993," "Rembrandt... Run It Back"), although I have no idea what "MIDDLE CHILD" is doing on this project considering it sticks out like a sore thumb and is a solo track from Cole that doesn't fit into the theme or spirit of cuts that surround it, and his vocals on the latter part of his verse on "Sacrifices" make me cringe just a tad. The bottom line is that if you've loved what Cole brought to his features last year, I think you'll find Revenge of The Dreamers III something to fill your plate until his mixtape "The Off-Season" drops some point later this year.

Bas and Ari Lennox continue to be just "meh" to me and I don't exactly understand their appeal on their own, but the production on ROTD3 maximizes their talents into enjoyable appearances from both of them. Overall, considering the mess that the first two installments in the "Revenge of the Dreamers" series were, this was a mostly enjoyable listener experience.

RATING: 7.6/10
FAVORITE TRACKS: Under The Sun, Down Bad, LamboTruck, Oh Wow... Swerve, Ladies Ladies Ladies, Costa Rica, 1993, Rembrandt... Run It Back, Got Me
LEAST FAVORITE TRACKS: Swivel, Sunset, Don't Hit Me Right Now, MIDDLE CHILD
Jul 5, 2019
Least Fav : Middle Child? Yea aight lmao
Jul 5, 2019
Middle child is pretty overrated.
Kuru