Kanye West - ye
Jul 29, 2021
NO NUANCE REVIEW

I get why people like this album, it’s his personal mental health album. But there is no god damn reason why a Kanye album should have production that is completely lacking in identity, not unique at all to him, colorless, and frankly ugly at times. I love Kanye a lot more for his production than his skills on the mic, so even if he was rapping well here I wouldn’t have enjoyed this much. But he’s also delivering awkward and annoying verses, topped off with really bad hooks and poor song structures as well. It doesn’t shock me that he didn’t even start writing lyrics until eight days before this album’s release. Also, Kanye has always had a silly sense of humor, but some of these punchlines are way too cringey to me. It dawned on me while relistening that this doesn’t even sound like the same person who made the trilogy, 808s, MBDTF, hell even Yeezus to a certain extent. I don’t hear any trace of what I loved about those Kanye albums, and frankly this is where it felt like Kanye didn’t care about making good art anymore. So half assed, not everything you touch turns to gold Kanye, especially if you put no effort into it.

But if you need more proof of what I just said, take a look at his next album.

2y
I'M A SUPERHERO YEEEEEEEEEARHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 😮😮😮😮
3mo
None of us would be here without cum ayy