Quadeca - From Me To You
Apr 1, 2021
I think I’ve made it clear in the past that I don’t get much besides a migraine out of most people in the YouTube rap scene, and judging from what I’ve heard of this artist’s previous work I probably would have lumped him in with the rest of them, thinking he’s corny and artistically shallow. However, after giving his latest record, “FROM ME TO YOU” a listen, Quadeca not only proved that he’s a very different artist than his peers, but he’s also occupying an exciting space that’s distinct from modern rap as a whole.

The first thing that separates Quadeca from his YouTube peers is his production, which was mostly handled by himself - while a lot of the other musicians in his scene use very generic and cheap sounding beats, Quad has truly done something impressive by developing a style that’s not only his own but very different from anything I’ve heard in a while. The best way I can describe “FROM ME TO YOU’s” sound is progressive emo-trap, taking tropes and characteristics typically found in the emo trap genre but adding a constantly evolving and cinematic production with elements of industrial, glitch, rock, hyperpop, and R&B in the mix (speaking of mixes, they are so CLEAN too). It’s like if JPEGMAFIA and Tyler, the Creator teamed up to produce for Joji, and I meant that in the best way possible, this will probably be remembered as one of the best produced albums of 2021.

On “FROM ME TO YOU”, Quadeca mostly focuses the album on his mental health and lost love with his previous partner, with a lot of mountain and while he’s not the hardest spitter in the game, he makes up for it with clever bars, emotive lyrics, and a great ear for song writing and structure. It also helps that not only is his delivery and flow great, unlike a lot of people in his scene, but he sings beautifully on this project - I did not expect the heart wrenching vocal performances on this project. Not only that, but he has a self awareness that I don’t think a lot of musicians he’s associated with have. Now this project isn’t without its flaws - Quad occasionally spits a bar that’s cheesy, the interludes, while sounding beautiful, don’t really add anything to the overall album, and it definitely could have cut a few tracks down to help overall pacing. However, I don’t think much of the record’s flaws get in the way of the listener’s enjoyment.

Quadeca really fleshed out his artistry since his last record, and in the process shot miles above the other rappers in the YouTube scene. It’s not perfect, but “FROM ME TO YOU” is a jaw dropping effort that promises a great future for the young rapper.
Apr 1, 2021
what a wonderful review, thank you for this. I have similar thoughts on this project even though the general reception is mixed
Apr 2, 2021
@TomBejoy thank you so much! For sure, obviously art is subjective but you got to admire the grand ambition of this project. I don’t think even his OG fans expected a record like this, and it’s just such an elevated album
Apr 2, 2021
The reception is actually generally positive, I was wrong, 76 aint too bad. Your welcome, keep up the good reviewing
BROCKHAMPTON - ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE
BROCKHAMPTON
ROADRUNNER: NEW LIGHT, NEW MACHINE
Taylor Swift - Fearless (Taylor's Version)
Fearless (Taylor's Version)
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & The London Symphony Orchestra
Promises
SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE - ENTERTAINMENT, DEATH
SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE
ENTERTAINMENT, DEATH
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!
Black Country, New Road - For the first time