Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
Jun 7, 2021
I wasn’t familiar with Japanese Breakfast before the release of this album and didn’t really know what to expect of it. Now that I’ve heard it, I can say that “Jubilee” is a nice little record with fun and catchy catchy chamber pop bangers.

The word “Jubilee” translates to a joyful celebration, and that’s exactly what this record is. While she tackled topics such as grief in the past, Japanese Breakfast, real name Michelle Zauner, said she wanted to use this album to celebrate feeling. During the album’s thirty seven minute runtime, Zauner combines bright and colorful synths, cinematic horns and strings, and playful percussion to craft a lively and dreamy chamber pip sound. This suits well with Michelle’s voice, that sounds light and breezy as she is singing absolutely infectious melodies. It’s sunny, it’s sweet, and it’s instantly catchy.

That isn’t to say “Jubilee” is without its problems. For one, this record is a little inconsistent. The front half it mainly solid, but past track five the record loses a little bit of its spark. The dreamy atmosphere seems to mellow out and the vocal lines aren’t as catchy. Then there’s just the fact that I’m not sure it doesn’t enough to be a unique or standout listen. While this record is good enough that I’ll be sure to check out Japanese Breakfast’s followup, I’m not sure it’s good enough that I’ll give it multiple spins throughout the rest of the year.

Overall, “Jubilee” is a fairly solid and entertaining record. Maybe not perfect by any means, but a nice forty minutes of your time an a fairly good introduction to Japanese Breakfast.
Jun 13, 2021
great review! :')
Jun 13, 2021
@intrnetrash thank you so much!
TomBejoy